• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Fatal wreck on 98 last night.

New posts
[
That's the wreck but it's totally not where it happened. It happened in front of Christian International. She was not coming out of the main church entrance, but rather the old church entrance/exit from Prophets Pkwy. You cannot cross the hwy there... only go east. To cross the hwy, you have to go out of the main entrance. The helicopter landed in the church parking lot.

It really had to be the deceased lady who caused it because, there was no way those people would have hit her the way they did unless she literally pulled out right in front of the first car.

My friend who lives on that street, though, said it can be really hard to see out there at night because of the slight curve in the road. She goes across the parking lot and out the main entrance to avoid that.

:( :(
 
Last edited:
From what I heard on the news tonight the older woman pulled out of the church parking lot turning left and head on into incoming traffic. Yes it was her fault. But the lighting around there is lacking.

Its sad that the powers that be that make all the lighting decisions work dayshift.:(
 
How does everyone feel about mandatory driving exams for senior citizens?:idontno:
I think everyone needs more than one exam when they turn 16. I am all for annual driving exams, and I think people should have to take them while eating a sandwich, listening to the radio and yapping on the cell phone. I guarantee you that we would have fewer people driving.
 
I think everyone needs more than one exam when they turn 16. I am all for annual driving exams, and I think people should have to take them while eating a sandwich, listening to the radio and yapping on the cell phone. I guarantee you that we would have fewer people driving.

I agree 100% SJ, Americans think driving is protected under the 'pursuit of happiness' clause. But seriously, is it just me or is there an uptick in tragic incidents involving senior drivers? I have no clue what the stats are...but with that said, I know that we are about to be sharing the roads with unprecedented numbers of geriatric motorists. Just a thought.
 
I think the stats show more crashes among the younger set; regardless, I think both young and old drivers need to be tested more thoroughly; we should adopt a law that says only hands free cell phones in a moving car; and defensive driving classes should be required for everyone. my 2 cents...it wouldn't hurt to have more effective lighting on Highway 98 and better turn lanes.
 
I think everyone needs more than one exam when they turn 16. I am all for annual driving exams, and I think people should have to take them while eating a sandwich, listening to the radio and yapping on the cell phone. I guarantee you that we would have fewer people driving.

find myself agreeing with Smiling JOe more often than not, and i could not agree more on this one !
cell phone usage & driving simply DON'T mix - didn't they pass a law recently regarding said issue ?
as much as we all have become accustomed to using these devices absolutely anywhere/everywhere
[i'm guilty too], driving an automobile should really be treated as a privilege, as it's hard enough to navigate ourselves through the myriad of distractions we're already faced with -- perhaps Walton Co should have an officer who ONLY pulls folks over who are guilty of talking while driving :roll:

cheers, make it a great day !
 
Last edited:
I'm inclined to think that the two dogs may have been inrestrained and possibly distracting :( I forgot to ask a friend who witnessed it what exactly happened to the dogs, he just said she had two dogs in the car.
 
That's the wreck but it's totally not where it happened. It happened in front of Christian International. She was not coming out of the main church entrance, but rather the old church entrance/exit from Prophets Pkwy. You cannot cross the hwy there... only go east. To cross the hwy, you have to go out of the main entrance. The helicopter landed in the church parking lot.

It really had to be the deceased lady who caused it because, there was no way those people would have hit her the way they did unless she literally pulled out right in front of the first car.

My friend who lives on that street, though, said it can be really hard to see out there at night because of the slight curve in the road. She goes across the parking lot and out the main entrance to avoid that.


I think the problem is that 98 from East 30A to 393 looks like an interstate. With all the tree farm land, there is nothing else to attract attention that it isn't an interstate. I guess most of it belongs to St. Joe, or the state.
 
I think the problem is that 98 from East 30A to 393 looks like an interstate. With all the tree farm land, there is nothing else to attract attention that it isn't an interstate. I guess most of it belongs to St. Joe, or the state.

This is a really great observation. When I went to the meeting regarding the study to build a road from 393 to Point Washington, the engineering firm presented this same design, calling it a parkway style road. I think it is a terrible design in that it does so closely resemble an interstate leading people to feel 75 mph is the appropriate speed for the area. I personally hate when I get in the left lane a quarter of a mile or so before I am going to take a left turn only to have some jerk fly up behind me in a big truck and flash his lights to menacingly shoo me back into the slow lane. When I insist on going to my doctor's office and thereby delaying his arrival at some undoubtedly cosmically important event in Destin by 10 seconds, they either gesture wildly or pass me like a maniac in the right lane. I wish just once someone would get pulled over for behaving like that...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top