Fisher,
I agree with you. This thread changed after I posted that the market was not as bad as the media portrays. Our office seems to stay quite busy and my team has been doing quite well. Buyers seem to find us. Maybe that has distorted my take on the market. I simply pointed out to my client his take on the market by doing a simple exercise of asking him how many units he thinks sold in a certain area. We both were pretty shocked. I then get attacked by the "doom and gloom" gallery.
I try to look at things in a positive way in everything I do. Personally, I am having real tough times holding what I own but I feel we are all going to be OK with whatever happens. I feel allot of folks on this board in the RE section are very bitter towards agents and I just try to keep a good word going. We need it. The media beats us up plenty.
I put together a contract the other day for a lady that broke down and starting crying once the contract was executed. She has wanted to live in SOWAL her entire life and is nearing retirement. During the big jump in value she felt she lost her chance to own in paradise. We sold her a home in Seabreeze. She got an amazing deal! I guess this could not have happened for her if the market was not in the tank.... It has been one of my favorite sales ever and has reminded me what this is really all about. She perceives this as a GREAT market and looks forward to making SOWAL her new home. Its all about perception....
YTD August Real Trend Report for Walton County--
Home sales down 14%, BUT average sales price UP 11%
Condo sales up 4%, AND avg sales price UP 39%
Lot sales down 50% and avg price down 13%
Volume was slowing through August, and I believe September will show a huge decrease across the board versus last year. However, it is encouraging to see that prices are actually up on average for homes and condos. Raw land continues to be a very tough sell.
This is just compared to the previous month?
.
No, the real trend report numbers I quoted are August 2007 year to date figures compared to August 2006 year to date numbers. Shows how the market is doing compared to the prior year--not the prior month.
Thanks for the clarification!
Are the increased condo sales/prices mainly a result of units being completed with pre-construction sale prices that were set in 2005 or 2006?