• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

National Flood Insurance Program

New posts
Why just pick on condos? In Walton County, there are multi-million dollar single family homes in the VE Zone. We also have flood zones that have been filled to raise the elevation up above the flood plain, which hugely increases the risk to neighboring properties. What are you going to do about this?

Mind you, I am not defending any of this. I have seen some of the corruption first hand myself. But there is something a little off about your premise. I'll ponder it. :scratch:
 
not dead yet:

You are absolutely correct, IF you trust that the engineering and flood analysis is accurate.
Any engineer can sign his name to a survey with a BFE (base flood elevation) analysis, submit it to FEMA and then the flood line will be changed to whatever that engineer says it is. Who do you think pays the Engineer? The developer. Is it possible that the Fox watching the hen house? not just possible, ITS PROBABLE. so you think its 1% chance, It might be a 5% chance. That means that the premium charged may be 5 times too low. Or it may be .001%, and the premium charged is too high. All depends on the accuracy of the flood plain analysis. All we really know is that we dont really know.
 
And if the above DID happen, that person who changed the BFE would be liable and spending a lot of time in court and/or jail.

I'm not saying it has never happened, but I am saying that most people would not be willing to take that risk, so I don't feel we need to revamp the entire system based on that scenario.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top