• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Opal 10 years ago today

New posts
lollygal said:
You were all just babys! My "baby" was 8 and my oldest 14 when Opal came roaring through town. I don't remember a lot of damage personally but there were a lot of falling trees and heavy rains. Now that I feel dated, I'm going to sign off, take my meds and go to bed! :floor:


Ahw Age is only a number... 10 years ago from yesterday, my daughter was in 7th grade and my son, was 2 years old. and my friend from FL came up from NY.
 
We were in Cullman, Alabama. Opal hit the wooden deck, that I had just built overlooking Smith Lake, with several trees. That night a huge boulder-sized rock piece came off the neighbor's cliff above the lake - but nobody heard a splash or anything! Divers never found it either when they were looking for something valuable that had been sitting on that section of the cliff. I think they found the valuables but the rock was ever seen again.

In PCB, Opal picked up enormous boulders from the Jetties and tossed them like so many pebbles across the peninsula into the bay. They are still there to this day.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top