GoodWitch58
Beach Fanatic
and, upon reflection, that is probably a good thing for 30A and those who love it!
Last edited:
and, upon reflection, that is probably a good thing for 30A and those who love it!Talk about rising and fallling together. Communities that built back with some regard for their natural surroundings will live to see another day. I predict that the Emerald Grand will indeed fall into the Gulf in the future and block the Destin Harbor. Just IMHO.

I was down for a few days a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in twenty years, I did not stay in SoWal. Why? A number of reasons really. I got tired of all the fees. Cleaning fee, admin fee, reservation fee, deposit, etc. Another reason is the highly variable condition of condos/homes for rent. Most owners are reasonable and furnish and decorate their units in keeping with the cost but sadly there are a number of owners who let the carpet go until it is way beyond nasty; same with upholstered furniture. And then came the proposal to raise the bed tax in Walton County. Let's see, I get to pay an increased bed tax so that the county can market to tourists farther away than they currently market to. That put me over the edge.
I stayed in a hotel, had a nice ocean view, got a free hot breakfast every morning and free drinks at night. All for a very attractive rate. No muss, no fuss, no deposit, no cleaning fee, etc.
I truly believe that the typical American consumer changed after October 2008. Most are looking after their wallets a little closer, looking for deals and negotiating rates and other purchases. I believe this change will be permanent.
I stayed in a hotel, had a nice ocean view, got a free hot breakfast every morning and free drinks at night. All for a very attractive rate. No muss, no fuss, no deposit, no cleaning fee, etc.