• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Red Tide Alert for South Walton

New posts

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
South Walton Fire District:
RED TIDE ALERT!
Monday Sep 20 2021

If you visited the beach throughout the weekend, you may have noticed difficulty breathing or other respiratory issues that seemed to disappear shortly after you left the sand.

These issues are largely related to "Red Tide," which is a harmful algal bloom (HAB). One of the most commonly known HABs in the United States occurs nearly every summer along Florida's Gulf Coast, and we're noticing its presence in South Walton this week.

Do not panic. This will come to an end. However, anyone with minor to severe respiratory issues should use their best judgement when visiting the beach. In case of respiratory emergency, alert the nearest lifeguard or call 911.

As a warning, South Walton Fire District is flying the Purple Flag to indicate a large presence of dangerous marine life or pests (algae). Be safe out there!

Learn more here:



FB_IMG_1632147785777.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting. My wife and I noticed it yesterday in a brief visit to a beach in Miramar. Sneezing and a light cough, which was so strange. We also started noticing it in some people near us, and then I knew something was up. And then we saw it: a dead fish, about 18 inches long, which the birds welcomed.

I knew the water had a different hue to it, in pockets. I was glad to see the strange orange orb in the sky, even veiled thinly by clouds, but not a good beach day, which is hard to imagine!
 
My family and I just left today from seacrest (hwy30a). We also were experiencing these symptoms, the burning in the eyes was unlike any other experiences from salt water. I have asthma and it has irritated my lungs. Yesterday we saw one dead fish well this morning there is multiple(over 10) washed ashore! 4 days ago red algae was floating all around us.
 
My family and I just left today from seacrest (hwy30a). We also were experiencing these symptoms, the burning in the eyes was unlike any other experiences from salt water. I have asthma and it has irritated my lungs. Yesterday we saw one dead fish well this morning there is multiple(over 10) washed ashore! 4 days ago red algae was floating all around us.

You can thank all the folks with yards south of 98. The runoff exacerbates the problem. This was not an issue 15 years ago.
 
Yesterday morning in Seagrove I didn't notice any red tide while I was on the walkover at San Juan.

There was a touch of red tide in the air in Grayton Beach yesterday afternoon with an onshore wind. If it had been calm or an offshore wind you probably wouldn't notice. Unless you were in the water. I would stay out out of the water if you get any hints of it.
 
You can thank all the folks with yards south of 98. The runoff exacerbates the problem. This was not an issue 15 years ago.
While I agree with you somewhat, as much rain as the entire southeast has had this summer, I'm surprised it's not been a bigger problem. That old Mississippi River has to be ejecting huge amounts of runoff from the north. We seem to be in store for a long dry period, and it's way overdue. I expect all of this to clear, if it hasn't already, quickly.
 
While I agree with you somewhat, as much rain as the entire southeast has had this summer, I'm surprised it's not been a bigger problem. That old Mississippi River has to be ejecting huge amounts of runoff from the north. We seem to be in store for a long dry period, and it's way overdue. I expect all of this to clear, if it hasn't already, quickly.
The Mississippi takes a minute to drain so much of that runoff will contribute to next year.

Oddly storms seem to help as they agitate the water and mix it up.
 
Just strong north winds blowing it out to deeper waters, my guess is it will be back when the wind comes back around on shore.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top