• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Septic Tank

New posts

Do Good

Beach Fanatic
Questions...

How often should one expect to have their Septic Tank serviced?

What should one expect to pay for this service in SOWAL?

Any recommendations?
 
Florida Septic.......#1 in the #2 business........very professional and I have no clue how they keep themselves and their trucks so clean!

If your septic is disposing properly, you shouldn't have to have it pumped at all. If it's not working, call a professional....it can be one of many things......tree roots, things that shouldn't be flushed, ninjas.........................
 
Thanks! I thought I heard a little gurgling sound. I have heard horror sotires about septic tanks. I bought the house in 2003, had the septic pumped in 2004- or 2005... so, I was thinking maybe it was time again...

Any thoughts?
 
you can also buy products, such as "Rid-X," to help keep it flowing. They are available in the grocery store near the liquid plumber stuff.

http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml
Q: How does RID-X? work?
A: RID-X? Septic System Treatment contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes to break down household waste. By adding RID-X?, you restore the delicate balance of beneficial bacterial and enzymes needed to help keep your system operating at full efficiency. Each box and bottle of RID-X? contains the following ingredients scientifically proven to break down household waste:

  • Cellulase: Toilet paper, vegetable matter, and some foods
  • Lipase: Fats, oils and grease
  • Protease: Proteins
  • Amylase: Starches
 
One will pay close to $300 for "The Straw". It started out a few years ago at $170, but went up steadily.
 
Thanks! I thought I heard a little gurgling sound. I have heard horror sotires about septic tanks. I bought the house in 2003, had the septic pumped in 2004- or 2005... so, I was thinking maybe it was time again...

Any thoughts?

It probably isn't the septic tank if you're having problems at one toilet. More than likely a child put something in the toilet and tried to flush it. I once pulled a toy shark out of a toilet ptap and I've removed toothbrushes. As SJ posted, Rid x works, so does a box of bakers yeast every month or so.
 
Most times gurgling is just the beginning... especially if you haven't had it pumped in a while. If you are having company, or using more water than normal it wouldn't hurt to get it serviced. Having it pumped on a regular basis helps the drainfields last longer as well.
 
I haven't seen toy sharks in toilets, but I've seen three D-cell batteries (you remember those big mutha's, don't you?) come out of a toilet. I'd be scared to know what device required batteries that large which someone might use in the bathroom.
 
90% of the time, if we hear gurgling... it means the GFI on the pump has tripped. Go check it and reset it and see if the gurgling goes away :)

I know I have a toy stuffed down one of my tanks right now. I found my two y/o in the bathroom with multiple toys in the toilet, heard the flushing sounds ahead of catching him, and the toilet has never flushed right since. I think it's one of his little rubber boat captains, based off my loose inventory of what might be missing.
 
you can also buy products, such as "Rid-X," to help keep it flowing. They are available in the grocery store near the liquid plumber stuff.

http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml
Q: How does RID-X? work?
A: RID-X? Septic System Treatment contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes to break down household waste. By adding RID-X?, you restore the delicate balance of beneficial bacterial and enzymes needed to help keep your system operating at full efficiency. Each box and bottle of RID-X? contains the following ingredients scientifically proven to break down household waste:

  • Cellulase: Toilet paper, vegetable matter, and some foods
  • Lipase: Fats, oils and grease
  • Protease: Proteins
  • Amylase: Starches

My septic tank is 9 years old and has never needed servicing. My neighbor's septic did not require pumping or service for nearly 18 years.

:idontno: I used to use Rid-X regularly and didn't note any particular diff. one way or the other. Then read in numerous places that this sort of treatment is not necessarily healthy or helpful to septic tanks so I quit doing it a couple of years ago. Of course I don't put anything down my garbage disposal, only use Arm & Hammer detergent & cold water to launder...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top