• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Stepped on a SNAKE......pic.....

New posts
I can verify ShallowsNole story about diamondbacks that big in this area. I too have seen ones that reached from one side of the road to the other in that same area before. Saw what I think was a much smaller one (2.5/3 footer) smooshed on Bay drive this AM.
 
Notice in the picture above, the moccasin has a band along the side of its face. That's the best wat to tell. You don't have to get too close to see it. Rattlers have that too. The brown water snake and banded water snakes are often killed, people thinking that they are a moccasin. Keep in mind that water moccasin can have a varied pattern and colors. The one pictured above is somewhat of a juvinile, which will darken over time. Btw, those pygmy rattlers are everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

Oh great!
 
What's amazing is that I do not see nearly the number of poisonous snakes than I used to. In the yard, on the road, anywhere. And I know they are here.

That's because they're hiding... plotting their next attack... :yikes: J/K. :biggrin:

I killed a Pygmy not long ago in my 'rents yard next to the lake. Got outta the Jeep, started walking up toward the house, and I swear I've got a guardian angel lookin' out for me because I felt the urge to look down right before I took the next step... the step that would have landed right on the damn thing's tail! I pulled my foot back (quickly) and used my cell phone to call my mother out of the house with a shovel.

Sometimes I would say 'live and let live', but this one was way too close to the yard (and the family pets) for comfort. That sucker had to go! :angry:
 
Not sure about Florida, but snakes, even poisonous ones, are protected here in TN. Not supposed to kill them. If it is causing a nuisance, you are supposed to call wildlife agency, etc. to relocate it.

Cottonmouth Moccasin test: if the snake swims with its entire body on top of the water, it's a cottonmouth; if only the head or front 1/3 of the body is above water, just a common water snake.

Last summer I saw a HUGE cottonmouth swimming in the lake behind Stinky's. They don't grow them that big in TN!

However, there is one bad-ass snake up here that makes all others look like wimps: they're called lawyers.
 
Last edited:
I know that a moccasin will also play dead. That happened to me once while I was swimming in the bay, if I hadn't seen it out of the corner of my eye...! I like the shoot first, ask questions later, philosophy!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top