Possible animal abuse? Really? The preponderance of evidence, the photo's and the living conditions of those animals strongly suggest to most normal people that those animals were absolutely being abused. Were they being fought? Again, I don't know because I didn't see the online videos of those dogs fighting that were reported to the Sheriff which helped secure a warrant. Is it possible the dogs were actually fighting? Again, the preponderance of evidence (IE) chaining those animals 24/7, inadequate food and water and their overall living conditions contribute substantially to aggressive behavior in any animal and yes they will fight for survival. They will fight for food, they will fight for water and they will bite the hand that feeds them in order to survive. If Ms. Greene and Mr. Bramlet are guilty of nothing else they are guilty of abusing those animals! Those animals needed to be seized and they should never, ever be allowed to own another animal. Even a rat being fed to a snake is treated better than those dogs were being treated.
The fact a child was involved makes it even more horrific. Pit bulls historically have poor eyesight and do not see well close up. If a child goes near those dogs with a bag of cheetos (or any food item) because of their keen sense of smell and poor eyesight and the conditions that existed that child could very well have become a meal. It's happened. In fact several years ago a child was mauled right here in Defuniak by a pack of pits and his friend was also bitten when he attempted to use a stick to fight off the dogs. The Department of Children and Family Services historically reunite children with their abusers because it's their job to "keep families together" so, its no surprise the child will be returned. Hopefully the dumb a$$es have learned their lesson and have been schooled in the art of parenting.
I can remember back in the day (during Patsy Registers' tenure as the Director of the old Humane Society) that she would actually HOST pit bull pulls at the Walton County Fairgrounds. Anyone who thinks its "normal" for a dog to pull in excess of 5000 pounds or that it isn't a training exercise for fighting, and that it is not abuse, is crazier than a bedbug. Teaching aggressive behavior in dogs is abuse!
You're right though, it is not uncommon for law enforcement to load up charges on a target they seek to arrest. So if those charges result in NOTHING ELSE, it will prevent those dogs from ever being abused again and hopefully it will prevent the owners from ever being allowed to legally own another animal.
I admit there are things about the Sheriffs budget that I don't like in regard to how taxpayer money is spent and I don't like how he panders to media attention but I don't have much to say in regard to how the job gets done. For the most part, I do think he is doing what the citizens expect and in the case of Bramlet & Greene I think he did what most people had the right to expect. The dogs are safe and no longer a threat to this Community. Now if they could just spay/neuter the owners and perhaps a lobotomy...
