• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Why we visit SoWal

New posts
i can honestly say, i have never met a visitor from ky that i didnt like., i suppose its because there is something so special about this place, and to know someone has worked so hard all year, battled some serious winter months, and even some dangerous spring storms, then drives all night to visit us.. you cant help but notice that they feel as strong about our lil sandbar as we do. for so many, this is just another spot, they are in vail for the holidays, aruba for easter, and take a lil trip to pop in on our beach. its obvious that this is such a special trip,and we are lucky to have visitors like you. if the water turns nasty, its just mama ocean doin her thing, and if they make ya stay outta the water, its just because we wanna see ya back here again. have a wonderful time and be safe.....p.s., in a former life,looong time ago i used to sleep an hour or two in my jeep under the i-65 rocket, just to spend 36 hrs here and make it back home for work on monday . ...oh, and go cards!
 
UofL:

Hope you're having a great trip. I agree with everything you said and more. There are other beautiful places in the world for sure, but there's something about SoWal that pleases the soul while at the same time not being "away from it all". I love that about SoWal.

As for the water, I agree that it would be very nice if it was always calm (or mostly always calm). I wait for the green flags and then I feel fine going in the water (at least I'm starting to, but not past below my knees - I'm extremely cautious and wouldn't let kids get in with a yellow flag at all). A yellow flag will get me partially in. I think one of the reasons we're so cautious in SoWal with the ocean is because of all the warnings. I've been other places (e.g., Sanibel Island - also beautiful) and there are few warnings, no flags, and yet riptides and rough waters are definitely there. So, I give the safety/tourist people who warn visitors/locals of the safety of the water every day a lot of credit - it must be some safety operation going on.

My favorite thing to do is to bring a book, beach chair, snack to the beach early in the morning and just read and gaze at the emerald ocean, take a short walk on the beach... heaven on earth. It's good for my soul just thinking about it but now I have to get back to work...
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top