You can?t just pay someone?s tax and gain a certificate. Tax certificates are sold at a tax certificate sale held once a year by the county (in the spring). The buyer of the certificate needs to have the winning bid at the sale. This means bidding a lower interest rate than anyone else. The owner of the certificate must hold the certificate for a minimum of two years before he or she can apply for a tax deed. The property then goes up for sale on the courthouse steps and the person bidding the most gets the real estate. The holder of the tax certificate gets his money back plus the interest that he bid. If there are no bids for the property the certificate holder gets the deed. Of course, he must pay off all of the other tax certificates sold on the property as well.
The only time that I acquired a property at a tax deed sale was when no one bid and I got the thing for the value of the tax certificate that I bought two years earlier ? plus the amount someone paid for the certificate in the subsequent year. There was a reason why no one else bid. It turned out to be a crack house that I had to pay to have torn down. I donated the land to FAMU. When you?re bidding on tax certificates in the heat of an auction it?s easy to make a mistake.