• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

30 year fixed rates

New posts
Then I think what I am hearing from everyone here is that there is still money out there for primary homes, if you come up with a 10% down payment, and have good credit. Sounds to me like a return to normal lending practices. This is exactly the guidelines we had to meet when we bought our last home in Georgia in 1997.

I know I sound as old as Kitty, but back in the day when I did mortgage lending (the 1980's), you absolutely had to have 25% down for anything that was not your primary residence. We just didn't have a lot of sources for that money, and this was in Colorado where second homes are not unusual at all. Second homes were underwritten more stringently than investment (income) property. Investment property was underwritten like a business loan, with income statements and proof of leases or prior rental history from the seller. It was not unusual for second homes to be cash purchases. Of course, a lot of those truly were "cabins" - and fairly inexpensive.

We would do second home loans for very good (bank) customers for whom we had already done their primary home
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top