• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

30A Rats

New posts

Kim Williams

Beach Crab
We have seen several rats around the building where my family is staying. We have reported it to the property management co., as well as the rental co. that we rented from for the week. I was told today by both of these agencies that rats are a common everyday occurance here. Is that really true? We have been visiting the Sunshine state for well over 50 years and have family that lives in South Florida we have never seen rats anywhere. Is it really true rats are common around here?
 
Rats & Mice are a major problem in FL, many businesses have these small black-grey boxes along their side & rear walls. These are bait stations, they go in and feed and then go off to sleep forever. Many people might object, but it does control the population. If you don't control the population outside they will start to find a way inside. In addition to snakes, outdoor cats are also good in pest control.
 
I'm not asking where you are staying, but, are you close to any restaurants? Dumpsters do attach vermin.

Black Racers (Snake) are good vermin control and they frighten many more people then a mouse or rat.

To agree with Marmot, vermin are common here and some (beach mouse) are Federally Protected.
 
Just a public request, please don't kill the black racers!
As John G shared, when you walk out the door they'll scare ya, but they are very important to have around. I have one that hangs around the house and always share with the next door S-T rental guests that the snake is present but harmless.
 
Pic of my vermin patrol friend;
Blackee1.jpg
 
We are not close to any restaurants, the dumpster for the property is a bit of a walk too. I have not personally seen any snakes just the rats! Where I'm from rats are no good no good!!! In fact the heath department would put a place on notice to get rid of them or close up. I was completely taken back when I was told today that these are very common in FL., especially since I have been visiting this beautiful state for over 50 years and have never experienced anything like this situation.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top