• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

331 bridge Construction

New posts

SkinShark

Beach Lover
My daughter asked me yesterday as we were going over the bridge, what is going to happen to the old bridge? Are they going to sink it with TNT like they do in the movies? Just curious if anyone has an answer? Fun to watch?
 
I wonder about that too. Because the new bridge is so much taller than the "old" one. I put that in quotes because I remember the really old one. Of course, some of you remember when there was no bridge at all.
 
The new bridge is way higher than the "old" bridge. If they are planning on keeping it, it looks weird to me. I'm to young to remember the draw bridge that was there originally. But, I did enjoy reading about it in the book "the way we were". After reading the story of Clyde Wells, I had a yearning to go fix up the little concrete block cabins on the north side. I hope they survive the construction, they are a part of our history. Do we have a historical society working on this? Or are they doomed just like the villas?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you. With the curves and the height different, this is going to be an odd looking bridge, no matter what. Maybe it will come out looking like "art", but it's main function is to pack a whole lot more people into the quagmire of 30-A.
 
Recreational area that will be beneath the southern approach of the bridge currently under construction. This area will feature a boat launch, ample parking, space for fishermen, public restrooms and a covered picnic area.

10380983_767145043338521_4539221255936011623_n.jpg
 
FDOT newsletter | US 331 Connections March 2015

Construction accelerates on U.S. 331 corridor

U.S. 331 is a beehive of construction activity with work underway to build a new bridge across Choctawhatchee Bay and expand the roadway from two to four lanes between the bay and Interstate 10. The $193 million FDOT construction program will improve safety, relieve traffic congestion, and enhance economic development opportunities for Walton County's U.S. 331 corridor.


Concrete piles have been driven for the northern and southern approaches for the new Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge. In February a milestone was reached as crews poured the first concrete bridge spans.

A video commemorating the milestone is available here.


The months of March and April constitute the mating season for the federally endangered Gulf Sturgeon which inhabits coastal rivers, bays, estuaries and the Gulf of Mexico between Florida and Louisiana. Federal regulations prohibit the construction team from driving piles in the bay waters during mating season. However, come May 1 drivers can expect to see a lot of activity from barge-mounted construction cranes and pile driving equipment.

No traffic impacts are anticipated, but drivers are reminded to keep their eyes on the road and resist "rubbernecking."

The construction schedule calls for putting traffic on the new bridge in summer 2016 and completing remaining tasks by spring 2017.


Safety reminder

The U.S. 331 corridor, between Interstate 10 and the southern shore of Choctawhatchee Bay, is an active construction zone. Commuters should exercise appropriate caution, obey traffic signs and speed limits, and be alert for construction vehicles and equipment entering and exiting the travel lanes. Provisions are in place to double speeding fines for any citations that are issued while workers are present in the construction zone.

US 331 project has a facebook page with regular updates/photos.

557456_393572387362457_590647384_n.jpg
 
Recreational area that will be beneath the southern approach of the bridge currently under construction. This area will feature a boat launch, ample parking, space for fishermen, public restrooms and a covered picnic area.

10380983_767145043338521_4539221255936011623_n.jpg


All this at taxpayer expense...wow I'm impressed. NOT!

I admit the bridge needed to be expanded and the road 4 laned...but the rest is overkill in my opinion.
 
Recreational area that will be beneath the southern approach of the bridge currently under construction. This area will feature a boat launch, ample parking, space for fishermen, public restrooms and a covered picnic area.

I like this. I live near a bay front park and while we have enjoyed it for years it always looked a bit run down. I often take my grandkids there to play on the equipment. Recently the county repaired and painted the covered picnic tables and restrooms and rebuilt the boat ramp. I read on the county website where they are taking bids for tennis courts to be built. Money spent on the parks recreational areas for the citizens of Walton County to enjoy is money well spent and long past due. These are relaxing and peaceful places where you can escape the crowds and enjoy the outdoors during the busy parts of year.
 
I like this. I live near a bay front park and while we have enjoyed it for years it always looked a bit run down. I often take my grandkids there to play on the equipment. Recently the county repaired and painted the covered picnic tables and restrooms and rebuilt the boat ramp. I read on the county website where they are taking bids for tennis courts to be built. Money spent on the parks recreational areas for the citizens of Walton County to enjoy is money well spent and long past due. These are relaxing and peaceful places where you can escape the crowds and enjoy the outdoors during the busy parts of year.
Agreed. Love this idea to provide recreational areas on the bay side. A boat launch spot is needed too!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top