• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

331 bridge Construction

New posts
The recreational facilities at the bridge are one of the few times Walton County has thought long term. As the beaches continue to get more crowded and disputed, bay usage is going to increase exponentially.
 
The new bridge is way higher than the "old" bridge. If they are planning on keeping it, it looks weird to me. I'm to young to remember the draw bridge that was there originally. But, I did enjoy reading about it in the book "the way we were". After reading the story of Clyde Wells, I had a yearning to go fix up the little concrete block cabins on the north side. I hope they survive the construction, they are a part of our history. Do we have a historical society working on this? Or are they doomed just like the villas?

SRBGirl, the little block cabins were one part of the Bay Grove Motel and yes, they are part of local history but I am fairly certain they will be gone if they aren't already. The Bay Grove Restaurant is long gone. :( The bridgetender's house was a small building on the south side of the causeway and it too has been gone ever since the drawbridge closed.

I don't recall Clyde Wells being in the Way We Were; he was county/circuit judge for many, many years and was killed in a private airplane crash in Pensacola. His son, Kelvin Wells, is our current judge.

I'm glad you had the idea of saving the cabins; I'm all about stuff like that :cool:
 
The recreational facilities at the bridge are one of the few times Walton County has thought long term. As the beaches continue to get more crowded and disputed, bay usage is going to increase exponentially.


I didn't realize at the time it was announced what an exceptional addition the rec area would be. Someone deserves big kudos for this! Can't wait to see the final product and go out and hang out under the bridge!
 
It is long overdue to do some kind of beautification/improvements to the causeway. It has looked like a construction site for about twenty years. I can't tell a lot from the hokey computer generated renderings, but my hopes are that quality landscaping will prevail. It should be a showcase for what South Walton is all about.
 
150320-bay-043-sowal-2000.jpg

150320-bay-042-sowal-2000.jpg

150320-bay-038-sowal-2000.jpg
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top