• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

58 Free Lustron Homes

New posts

John R

needs to get out more
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/03/58_lustron_home.php

Lustron Homes were the "The House America Has Been Waiting For" post WW2- the all-steel manufactured wonders that were going to revolutionize the housing industry. They did not for a number of reasons- they were built like tanks and the developers made them far too complex with too many parts, and only 2,500 were built. They are, however, prefab classics and Quantico Marine Corps base is offering 58 of them- free, to anyone who will dissassemble them and take them away. This is the architectural equivalent of saying "Please take that old German 356 thing out of my garage"- Line up for this one.

http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/index.htm#

bottom right
 
We have a few in our neighborhood. One sits opposite a traffic light I'm always waiting at. I'm sorry to say they're kind of homely looking. :(
 
It sounds as though they are in Canada or Cuba. If so, it may be cheaper to build from scratch, eh?

As a kid, I was great at taking things apart, but when I put things back together, I was always missing some pieces and having left overs that I did not have a place for. Knowing this, these homes were not meant for me. :funn:
 
Smiling JOe said:
It sounds as though they are in Canada or Cuba. If so, it may be cheaper to build from scratch, eh?

As a kid, I was great at taking things apart, but when I put things back together, I was always missing some pieces and having left overs that I did not have a place for. Knowing this, these homes were not meant for me. :funn:

they are in quantico. if you are awarded one, you have all of july to dismantle it and remove it.

jr
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top