• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Alternative Spring Break in SoWal

New posts

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Last year, I received the info on UGA's Alternative Spring Break too late to plan anything. Attached is the letter from Volunteer UGA stating the basics on this Alternative Spring Break for the students. It is alcohol free (no jokes please :nono1:) and service-focused. The students will be volunteering their time and energy working in the State Parks in SoWal. If you are able to help them in any way by providing meals, food donation, money donation, or with other services, etc (read the letter attached) please contact the peeps in charge noted on the letter. I am planning on hosting a cookout or buying pizza for them at Amore as well as allowing them to use my kayaks for an afternoon or two.

These kids are doing something very different than the kids who will be hanging off the 10th floor balcony of the Panama City Beach Holiday Inn puking their guts out. The people on this Alternative Spring Break could be our leaders of tomorrow. They are giving to our area, so the least we can do is say thank you some small or great way. Please try to find a way to make their trip more memorable.

Please take a moment to read the brief letter attached, and write these kids into your schedule.

Thanks for the consideration. :D
 
:clap_1: I hope our daughter will be interested in something like this when she is older. It sounds like a great program.
 
what a great concept that could be emulated by other universities or even high schools. I love it - I hope they receive support from our community. we will gladly help with food or supplies...
 
I'll send a donation. Thanks for letting us know. I hope this idea catches on throughout the U.S.
 
Wow. More power to 'em. A more honest approach to spring break...at least compared to my past spring breaks. Do they do different places every year?
 
Kimmifunn said:
Wow. More power to 'em. A more honest approach to spring break...at least compared to my past spring breaks. Do they do different places every year?
As the letter states, they are going to 13 cities in the SE USA this year. There was a group here at Grayton last year, but that was the first time I heard about it. I bet Cat or Lori, with UGA, could answer that question.
 
Smiling JOe said:
As the letter states, they are going to 13 cities in the SE USA this year. There was a group here at Grayton last year, but that was the first time I heard about it. I bet Cat or Lori, with UGA, could answer that question.
I didn't read it close enough...just went back through and re-read.
That's cool though. Good idea. Sic 'em dawgs. :clap_1:
 
This sounds great! Do you think anyone would notice a 4o-something year old woman in the group? I want to go on spring break!
 
jdarg said:
This sounds great! Do you think anyone would notice a 4o-something year old woman in the group? I want to go on spring break!
According to the reply email I just received from Lori at UGA, they begin their work around 8-9am every morning and end around 4pm. They have Friday off for funn. Still interested in joining?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top