• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Alternative Spring Break in SoWal

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
According to the reply email I just received from Lori at UGA, they begin their work around 8-9am every morning and end around 4pm. They have Friday off for funn. Still interested in joining?

That's it? Pretty short work day! I'm in!:D
 
poor brainwashed children, spending their school breaks working - quite enough of that after graduation! I would count down the days to the break, saving every penny, getting all the supplies needed for a full-on 6-day taxonomic dive trip to the keys, spending the too-excited-to-sleep nights before checking everything ten times over, taking turns driving all night and into the morning, wallowing in the confirmed identification of every marine invertibrate species encountered, sleeping around the fire right there on the beach, the freezing cold of the porta-potty seat on a midnight visit, the clinking of the blue crabs moving about in the cooler, and the stars, oh the stars - someone supposedly burned their bra one night and I had my very first taste of sushi on that trip - truly great memories that I would not ever deny anyone just because some bananas in their bunch were spoiled rotten - but I'm just weird that way.
 
I will be glad to help out - I emailed Lori from the letter and I see she just registered - welcome Lori!


:welcome:
 
Hi everyone, my name is Lori Cruz. I'm a leader with Alternative Spring Break. We've been coming down to Grayton for 4 years now. A friend and I began the trip in 2002. Here's a little info about our trip. There is a no drug/alcohol policy, not just because we're perfect straight A students :razz: but also because we're on a UGA sponsored trip. Camp Helen hosts us we do work in the state parks during the day. We basically work from 9ish-4/5 every day with about an hour lunch break somwhere in there. If you have any questions or have taken an interest in our trip, my contact info is lorindac@uga.edu The Alternative Spring Break website is http://www.uga.edu/volunteeruga/asb.htm just in case you're interested. Thanks!
 
UGA Lori said:
Hi everyone, my name is Lori Cruz. I'm a leader with Alternative Spring Break. We've been coming down to Grayton for 4 years now. A friend and I began the trip in 2002. Here's a little info about our trip. There is a no drug/alcohol policy, not just because we're perfect straight A students :razz: but also because we're on a UGA sponsored trip. Camp Helen hosts us we do work in the state parks during the day. We basically work from 9ish-4/5 every day with about an hour lunch break somwhere in there. If you have any questions or have taken an interest in our trip, my contact info is lorindac@uga.edu The Alternative Spring Break website is http://www.uga.edu/volunteeruga/asb.htm just in case you're interested. Thanks!

:welcome:

Hi Lori - you will find our members very helpful. Just post here with any needs you have or info you require. Thanks for helping our parks. I bet you have a great and rewarding time. :clap_1:

How many are you expecting to come?
 
kurt said:
:welcome:

Hi Lori - you will find our members very helpful. Just post here with any needs you have or info you require. Thanks for helping our parks. I bet you have a great and rewarding time. :clap_1:

How many are you expecting to come?

Right now we're still adding/dropping participants but it looks to be right around 9 or ten total. We might even have another boy this year. Generally, we only have one guy and about 10 girls so this year we might actually have two! Guys really change the dynamics of the whole trip.
 
UGA Lori said:
Hi everyone, my name is Lori Cruz. I'm a leader with Alternative Spring Break. We've been coming down to Grayton for 4 years now. A friend and I began the trip in 2002. Here's a little info about our trip. There is a no drug/alcohol policy, not just because we're perfect straight A students :razz: but also because we're on a UGA sponsored trip. Camp Helen hosts us we do work in the state parks during the day. We basically work from 9ish-4/5 every day with about an hour lunch break somwhere in there. If you have any questions or have taken an interest in our trip, my contact info is lorindac@uga.edu The Alternative Spring Break website is http://www.uga.edu/volunteeruga/asb.htm just in case you're interested. Thanks!

:welcome: Lori, this is a great thing you are doing. I wish I could be there to help.
 
:welcome: Lori. I sure hope my children get involved in Alternative Spring Break when they are in college. What a fantastic idea. I did a little google search and saw that many colleges do this and do service in different places. I think SoWal is one of the nicest places to go!
 
Did Lori say mostly girls would be coming? :wub: I will definitely have to plan on being present at any event which I host for you guys.

Welcome to SoWal.com, Lori and Cat!

You have my contact info, so let me know how I can help. I will email you with details of plans in the next few days.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top