• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Alys Beach???

New posts
Define warming up to. Every event they've held in the last 2 years has been packed to the point that parking was difficult.

The price point may be a little high for this area, but they are far from in trouble.

Alys Beach is truly a sight to behold. It is stunning and MoonCreek Studios pictures of it are remarkable. I love its aesthetics. I personally will never understand who makes/has the money to sustain an entire community at that price point, but I will continue to admire its beauty as I drive on to my personal 30-A destination.:D ˆguess only time will tell how it will build out.
 
Last edited:
Define warming up to. Every event they've held in the last 2 years has been packed to the point that parking was difficult.

The price point may be a little high for this area, but they are far from in trouble.

Events and selling real-estate are two different things. Regardless, Ebsco is well diversified and has deep pockets, I doubt they'll run into any financial trouble. I think it'll just take time to fill in, there isn't a lot of money out there these days for high end, enviro sensitive RE.

EBSCO Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Looks like they are going backwards, I see at least two lots re-puchased by Ebsco from buyers. I wonder if that was to prevent foreclosure sales from popping up?

It could be that or a 'trade.' Construction loans for the superjumbo market is very difficult right now and if the owner of the lot can't break ground by their contract date, they are fined. So, there is sometimes the option to trade the lot for a home being sold. Just a thought~~~~

I think Alys Beach is beautiful, too!!!!
 
Events and selling real-estate are two different things. Regardless, Ebsco is well diversified and has deep pockets, I doubt they'll run into any financial trouble. I think it'll just take time to fill in, there isn't a lot of money out there these days for high end, enviro sensitive RE.

EBSCO Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMO ALys Beach actually is high-end construction - making it much more desirable post-bubble than other places that just have high-end prices.

If I had the money I would certainly be buying a concrete bunker in a community with great events over other 30-A options.

Not to mention that THE thing right now is LEED and green construction - for health, conscience, and pocketbook reasons.
 
IMO ALys Beach actually is high-end construction - making it much more desirable post-bubble than other places that just have high-end prices.

If I had the money I would certainly be buying a concrete bunker in a community with great events over other 30-A options.

Well, sales compared to places like Watercolor don't show that. Alys got caught in the down turn, I think recovering will require a number of years of slower growth. In time I'm sure the community will do just fine.

Not to mention that THE thing right now is LEED and green construction - for health, conscience, and pocketbook reasons.

Which would you rather own and insure, a small house with simple construction you could rebuild with 150K or less, or a high-end LEED™ constructed 1.5 million dollar white stucco a storm surge could wipe off the face of the map with little effort regardless of it's accolades? Lets face it, Alys appeals to the guilty conscience of the richy rich, (I believe I've made this assertion before in these threads) and offers "green construction" you have to pay for. There aren't as many richy riches out there these days. The buy backs show at least a few owners weren't as rich as they thought. It'll take time for the community to recover.
 
Last edited:
I think Alys is simply great marketing, nothing more, nothing less.
 
Last edited:
I don't think Alys can be compared to WaterColor. Alys is much higher end than WaterColor.

The storm surge that would wipe Alys off the face of the Earth would bankrupt the insurance companies as it would completely destroy everything in about 20-50 miles in each direction and about 5 miles inland. Think Homestead, but with predominately million dollar plus homes.
 
I think Alys is simply great marketing, nothing more, nothing less.

The business of home sales and town building in SoWal includes marketing. And it better be great.

Ever hung out at Caliza pool? Looked closely at a house under construction? Seen plans for the Beach Club? Watched the Video? I guess you could call all of it marketing right now. It might take awhile for it to catch fire, but it will. I'm glad the developer has the financial ability to to continue to market and add amenities. Think of the alternative.


YouTube- Alys Beach Movie
 
If I had gazilliions of dollars and had to live in one of the high-end communities along 30A, I don't know which one I'd choose. But I don't have that problem so I'm not taking the time to think about the trade-offs.

But I can say that I'm very happy that our cottages at the Cottages at Camp Creek are only 1/2 mile from Alys Beach. We love going to the restaurants (Calyza pool, George's, donut truck, Fonville Press). Someday we'll also benefit from outdoor concerts, movies, etc. I've been to a few of the Friday late afternoon wine events, and they've been awesome (about a year ago, maybe even before that).

What I REALLY like about Alys Beach is that despite it's high end appeal, it is VERY family friendly - playgrounds, photos of kids, inclusion of kids in events. And, regardless of whether one likes the architecture, it sure is architecturally well done and consistent with the Alys Beach vision from what I can tell. I, for one, am glad that Ebsco can keep Alys Beach going despite the downturn for the long-run.

I went to the Calyza restaurant last Easter with my daughters and it was such a fine experience. We paid attention to all the little architectural details and choices the architects made. Even the little chains that hang from the rafters to separate the restaurant from the pool were carefully thought out so that they would have a certain "look" and make a particular sound in the wind. It was fun to have my daughters learn about how attention to the smallest details and being consistent with a vision is a big part of excellence. We'll go back this Easter as well.
 
The business of home sales and town building in SoWal includes marketing. And it better be great.

Ever hung out at Caliza pool? Looked closely at a house under construction? Seen plans for the Beach Club? Watched the Video? I guess you could call all of it marketing right now. It might take awhile for it to catch fire, but it will. I'm glad the developer has the financial ability to to continue to market and add amenities. Think of the alternative.

Open spaces, larger lots, year round community, affordable housing, .. I'm thinking! I'm thinking! :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top