• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

An Outsider's Perspective

New posts
WELCOME George!! And Congratulations on your new home!!
Thanks for a wonderful post!! May your SoWal life bring you great joy!!:D
 
I have been a long time fan of Southern CA. It is/was my dream to live on or within walking distance of the beach in a community like Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach. But for what I want out there it would cost me $1-2 Million for near the beach and $4-8 Million for on the beach...

Recognizing that we were no where near being able to afford SoCal we started looking for properties near the beach all over the US. I can honestly say that I have been everywhere and nothing touches what you can get in SoWal...

Hi George.

I too have been EVERYWHERE looking for the perfect beach property ... litterally, every beach town from Ocean City, New Jersey to Miami on the Atlantic, Key West to Destin and a bit of Texas on the Gulf, San Diego to Carmel in CA, and even some of the Carribean. I've looked at communities on the Great Lakes, on the Chesapeake Bay, the Delaware Bay ... you name it, and I've probably been there or researched it.

While my favorite climates would definately point toward Southern CA or the Carribean (South Walton wouldn't even make the top 10), and while there are definately beaches that are easier and cheaper for me to get to (when is that darned airport getting built, anyway?), I am in total agreement that South Walton has the prettiest beaches. Anywhere. Bar none.

Since nothing meets my perfect climate, easy to get to, AND beautiful beaches test, I'm leaning toward beautiful beaches as well.

If I were in your shoes (ie. trading one houses equity for another and moving there), I would be a buyer now too. Lucky you.

But, as a second-home-buyer-in-waiting, I have to study and evaluate what I make of these housing and credit bubbles, and decide if now is the right time to be a buyer. Suffice it to say that I do not fall into the camp of "soft landing" and "the worst is behind us". Now is not the right time for new money in the housing market. I'll be holding onto my money for a while longer, but hopefully not too long.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to your new Valhalla in South Walton County. Although I grew up in the area, have lived in California for nearly 30 years now. Frankly, I have been amazed that the beaches were not discovered sooner. And fortunately, have been very pleased (for the most part) that development there has been as focused on the "Old Florida" concept as it has. Witness, the hideous highrise buildings in Destin and East Seagrove for ideas of where things were headed prior to the advent of Robert Davis' Seaside.

Conch Out at Grayton was purchased about five years ago and I have never regretted it. At the end of the day, I felt that Grayton properties would hold their values best because the unique character of the area is being protected by the long-time residents and the State Parks. I continue to believe it is a good investment, as similar properties on a CA beach (not nearly as hospitable as the beaches of SoWal) would cost at least four times as much. It doesn't hurt that Florida has no state income tax, either. Now if they can only get their insurance practices under some semblance of sanity. Everyone, please write your representatives in Tallahassee on this matter of great importance!

New people often bring their own synergy. But in my experience elsewhere, they are often the ones most concerned with protecting the unique qualities of a nice area, if only by virtue of their experiences in a previous area that was encroached upon. Encroachment is a very insidious and usually nonreversible process. So please get involved, Outsider...we need'ja! :welcome:
 
Thanks for the warm welcome!

After I get moved and settled I will work on getting involved in local matters and do my fair share to keep this place great and make it even better.

See you at the beach!

George Wickey
 
:welcome: You'll love it here, especially with the help of the Sowal people!!!

Now, about that playground committee............:biggrin:
 
George welcome to Sowal! Believe me, you have found paradise. There is no other place on this planet like it! Some of the friendliest and nicest people you will ever meet are locals.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top