• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Another Drowning????

New posts

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
I was surfing in Miramar area late today and believe someone drowned. There were fire trucks, helicopters, and jet skis everywhere. They were looking until almost dark. Does anyone know anything???
 
IMG_1073sm.jpg
 
No, I didn't hear anything, but I haven't been out since early afternoon. I did notice the nice waves and a couple of rip currents right in front of WaterColor.


IMG_1082sm.jpg
The double red flag didn't stop this girl from taking a dip. She was only about 30 yards away from what looked like a really strong rip current. If that was her dad in the photo, he seemed more concerned about digging the hole. I kept an eye on her, and she was fine, but I hate to think, what if...

As I stood there at the top of the walkover, one small girl red the flag warning sign after coming up from the beach. She told her dad, "double red means that the beach is closed, but that can't be right. Look at the people down there (meaning on the beach)." I explained to her that just the water was closed because of the dangerous rip currents. I am somewhat surprised that WaterColor and Seaside have not hired their own lifeguards, or paid WalCo to put a few on their beaches. The beach attendant at WaterColor didn't seem to care that this girl was in the water or that the huge holes were being dug on the beach by the kids and parents.
 
Last edited:
Often times you can not see one. On a rough day look at the surface of the water. You will see what looks like water rushing back out to sea. It took me years to be able to tell what one looked like but after studying the water for years it has become quite easy now. If you are ever out on a rough day and see a surfer ask him/her to show you a rip. We use them to get out to the waves.
 
What Bobby said. :roll: I don't know that I can describe it with words. Ask me one day at the beach and if I see one, I will point it out to you.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top