• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Bad Restaurant Experience! Advice appreciated

New posts

srich3

Beach Comber
First of all this experience was not in the SoWal area. I decided that because of all the people with restaurant experience that post I would get some great ideas.

My husband (NE Sowallr) and I had dinner reservations for 8:15 at a local upscale restaurant on Saturday night. Think Cafe 30-A. We were celebrating his birthday.

When we arrived at the restaurant I gave the host our name and was informed that there was no reservation. Then a gentleman came over stating that the reservation had been cancelled and they were unable to call. I was fairly calm with this gentleman, as he was only the messenger. I felt sorry for him, he looked mortified. The owner had left a gift certificate for us, barely enough to cover an entree at this restaurant.

We made this reservation on Monday. But a private party was being held during the time of our reservation. I can't imagine this party was booked in 2-3 days.

So at 8:15 on a Saturday night we have to find a restaurant that had available seating.:idontno:

So here is where I need help. I will be calling the owner, what do I need to say to let him know that I think the situation was handled poorly without sounding petty. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
How frustrating! I would be very annoyed also, mostly because it seems clear that somebody dropped the ball.

I would impress upon the manager how inconvenient it was for you (not only did you not get the meal you wanted, but you wasted time going over there and had to scramble to find something else). But I would also want to know what the restaurant did wrong so this kind of thing doesn't happen to others. Why couldn't they call? Who forgot to call? A good manager would want to know about this, I would think, and would hopefully comp you the cost of two entrees or a nice bottle of wine if you agree to come back.
 
I'd like to know where the place is, so I don't have the same problem.
 
This is a terrible thing to happen to y'all, especially on your husband's birthday. But, it is as terrible for the restaurant, the owners, the management and the servers. As they have now put their reputation on the line for $200-$400 more that evening. That money will be nothing compared to the bad publicity coming from this incident.

I would not call them I would write the owner/manager and put in words exactly how it made you feel, how disappointed you were, that you had chosen their restaurant out of many others to celebrate his birthday. I would cover every moment from the time you stepped into the door. Then I would request a complimentary dinner (including apps, entree, dessert and wine or cocktails) if you want to go back and try this again. If you do not want to go back then request a gift certificate and give it to someone. By writing instead of calling you get to say what is needed without interuption and they have something tangible in their hands that they cannot hang up on.

I have had an experience like this. Two very special people, whom I communicated with through Sowal, but had never met came to the beach for their anniversary. I personally set it up...very romantic. That night it became tremendouly busy with groups of 7 to 12 people trying to get in. One of our servers in all the hustle and bustle overlooked the two top and brought in a group of 7. The server put them in the private room and I about fainted right there. The couple walked in...looking so happy, dressed for this special occasion and I know I could see stars in their eyes twinkling. There was only one thing I could do. I walked into the little room and told the group of 7 about what had happened and that I would have to move them to a very small table in the main dining room or they could wait with wine and beer comped at the bar. How funny, but they all chose to eat at the table for 4 and were so happy to squeeze in and allow the anniversary couple the room, which had been decorated for their anniversary. Sometimes you have magical nights in the restaurant business, and for me and many others this just happened to be one. That's not saying every screw up goes so well, but talking to the owners/manager asap is a start....and don't take some measly comp of apps or one entree. Be nice, but stand your ground.
 
I'm sorry to hear about that. Ironically, I live right by Cafe 30A and up until a couple nights ago, had never eaten there.

But, in contrast to your experience, I had an amazing dinner. The entre of mine and that of my friend was absolutely exquisite. The waiter was very knowledeable and staff well run.

Again, the food was tremendous and the execution of everything superb. I don't know if your incident was isolated or not... but, anyway, I'm not sure on advice since I wasn't there to get the feel of it all.

I sure hope your future excusrions are more palatable. But based on the food and experience when I went, if you are one to give additional chances and can afford a place like that, I say do it.
 
I'm sorry to hear about that. Ironically, I live right by Cafe 30A and up until a couple nights ago, had never eaten there.

But, in contrast to your experience, I had an amazing dinner. The entre of mine and that of my friend was absolutely exquisite. The waiter was very knowledeable and staff well run.

Again, the food was tremendous and the execution of everything superb. I don't know if your incident was isolated or not... but, anyway, I'm not sure on advice since I wasn't there to get the feel of it all.

I sure hope your future excusrions are more palatable. But based on the food and experience when I went, if you are one to give additional chances and can afford a place like that, I say do it.


Hang on a sec, they said it did NOT happen in Sowal. It is a restaurant of the same calilber as Thirty-A. I had to read that part twice myself. Didn't want Thirty-A to get a bad rap when they didn't deserve it.
 
I'm sorry to hear about that. Ironically, I live right by Cafe 30A and up until a couple nights ago, had never eaten there.

But, in contrast to your experience, I had an amazing dinner. The entre of mine and that of my friend was absolutely exquisite. The waiter was very knowledeable and staff well run.

Again, the food was tremendous and the execution of everything superb. I don't know if your incident was isolated or not... but, anyway, I'm not sure on advice since I wasn't there to get the feel of it all.

I sure hope your future excusrions are more palatable. But based on the food and experience when I went, if you are one to give additional chances and can afford a place like that, I say do it.
Sorry for the wording this was in Nebraska, but I just wanted to give you the idea of what type of restaurant we were going to . Love 30-A and can't imagine having this problem there.
 
first of all this experience was not in the sowal area. I decided that because of all the people with restaurant experience that post i would get some great ideas.

My husband (ne sowallr) and i had dinner reservations for 8:15 at a local upscale restaurant on saturday night. Think cafe 30-a. We were celebrating his birthday.

When we arrived at the restaurant i gave the host our name and was informed that there was no reservation. Then a gentleman came over stating that the reservation had been cancelled and they were unable to call. I was fairly calm with this gentleman, as he was only the messenger. I felt sorry for him, he looked mortified. The owner had left a gift certificate for us, barely enough to cover an entree at this restaurant.

We made this reservation on monday. But a private party was being held during the time of our reservation. I can't imagine this party was booked in 2-3 days.

So at 8:15 on a saturday night we have to find a restaurant that had available seating.:idontno:

So here is where i need help. I will be calling the owner, what do i need to say to let him know that i think the situation was handled poorly without sounding petty. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

get over it! My god! Have you nothing better to do than smear a biz because they made a small error and god forbid you couldnt eat there. Some people have nothing better to do...at all. And the rest of the people who largely dont live here in sowal are rooting to smear a local biz. This site has become a joke! I guess you all never make mistakes.....please. Get a life!
 
kkddbb:

Lighten up please. They are entitled to their opinion and you know what....you DON'T have to read it OR respond to it.....
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top