• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

BCC Candidates for District 1

New posts
I am not advocating multiple opponents, just wish someone was running against Brannon.

I do not approve of his actions while campaigning or in office and want someone with the community's best interests in mind elected.


Then run. You seem to be a pretty balanced, informed individual.
 
Isn't that just going to bring the wrath of the developer mafia down on her if she does?

Can anyone run in that district and still do business in this community?
 
I am not advocating multiple opponents, just wish someone was running against Brannon.

I do not approve of his actions while campaigning or in office and want someone with the community's best interests in mind elected.
In all fairness, why don't you look at what he has promoted and done while in office instead of how his campaign was run? I did not vote for Scott Brannon because I thought he was in the pocket of the developers, due in part, to his campaign antics. However, his actions while serving on the Commission have not borne this out, IMO. For instance, he is the Commissioner who proposed the 50 ft. hieght restriction for Choctawhatcee Bay and othe points in NoWall and I, personally think that is a very good thing unless you want Walton County to look like Destin and Panama City Beach. His efforts to improve the Morrison Spring recreational area are also commendable. If you do not attend commission meetings, SB44, I suggest you attend a few and observe Mr Brannon in action. If you do attend you should recognize what I am talking about. Also, as I previously stated, I prefer to see an opponent for all incumbents. My previous post was not meant to be any kind of endorsement for Scott Brannon. This one is meant to point out that his service on the Commission has met many of the desires I have for the betterment of Walton County.
 
Morrison Springs was acquired by a previous commission, not Brannon. However, there are complaints of how now during Brannon's term the area is being overdeveloped (per letter to editor in DeFuniak Paper about two months ago). Brannon wasn't out front helping with the Blue Sign issue. One could comment that if he had been attending meetings and communicating with his South Walton constituents, some of that issue might not have happened. South Walton did not vote in the majority for Brannon. He moved the commissioner's office out of SoWal. SoWal used to have two commissioner offices. There are quite a few that are not pleased with his performance. SoWal has suffered from a number of issues the past four years and there has been little to no comment from Brannon on a number of issues. Most people in SoWal resigned themselves to calling Cindy Meadows if they wanted to talk to a commissioner that had an interest in SoWal. Brannon was not living in District 1 when he filed and his service to SoWal has showed how that might have had some effect on his committment to the area.
 
Last edited:
As to the use of the word conviction. I think we could discuss that more. Stated in Roget's Thesaurus 971 Condemnation. -- N. condemnation, conviction, proscription, damnation; death warrant; penalty etc. 974. attain-der, -ture, -tment. V. condemn, convict, cast, bring home to, find guilty, damn, doom, sign the death warrant, sentence, pass sentence on, attaint, confiscate, proscribe, sequestrate; non-suit. disapprove etc. 932; accuse etc. 938. stand condemned. Adj. condem-, dam-natory; condemned etc. v.; non-suited etc. (failure) 732; self-convicted Phr. mutato nomine de te fabula narratur.
 
Last edited:
Why is he still running? With the real estate downturn he won't have his cadre of cronies interested in getting him re-elected. He doesn't strike me as someone interested in public service as every inquiry made to him is given the exact same form response.
 
Why is he still running? With the real estate downturn he won't have his cadre of cronies interested in getting him re-elected. He doesn't strike me as someone interested in public service as every inquiry made to him is given the exact same form response.

What I'd like to know is what he's doing that makes some powerful people in this community feel it's so important that he's re-elected that they intimidate potential opponents. Allegedly.

He supported the NatureWalk Beach Club development at Seagrove Villas, despite it's clear violation of the code. I doubt there's a development project he wouldn't approve. Perhaps that's it?
 
Good luck in finding anything out. Brannon is quieter than the Sheriff when it comes to speaking out, returning calls or showing up at public events -- especially in District 1 in SoWal. Who funds him is still a mystery to most. When the financial report story came out in the papers some months ago, his was once again missing and not ready for publication. Someone will probably have to file a complaint to get his information. Then, it will be two years before you find anything out as his adept lawyers and pr firm drag his response out. His value is the family and close ties to lawyers, lobbyists and developers like Olson & Assoc. of Nature Walk ($5,000 to WAV, a 30+ campaign finance law violations group) who gave him and the group campaign money. Hilton calls turtles "the little critters" and often speak out at public meetings in opposition to a turtle light ordinance. Hilton gave at least $20,000 to same WAV group and maximum to Brannon. Most regular citizens are limited to $500.
 
When a candidate takes money from developers, we rightly get to question his allegiance. So I agree with several of the previous posts, you can certainly hang development money around Comm. Brannon's neck.

But let's be clear on our facts about approving developments. In many cases, our elected officials are bound to approve developments, even if we in the public are adamantly against them. It is a simple matter of following the code, and voting in accordance with staff approval (planning department and planning board).

Now, before it starts, I know we have had some commissioners vote against a project, when the only problem was the public outcry. While that seems great, its not actually right.

It frustrates me to hear people direct comments, and attacks, at elected officials who follow the code, and then say it was their personal decision. If you don't like our development code, start pushing for change. If you don't like staff recommendation, start pushing for change. But in many cases, seeking a change of the commissioner will miss the heart of the problem.
 
Then run. You seem to be a pretty balanced, informed individual.

It was considered and swiftly rejected because I have too many potential conflicts of interest - both real and perceived because of my various jobs.

Once again, doing the "right" thing based on moral / honesty reasons paid off, as per some entertaining (and yet to be verified local gossip), if I had gone through with it I would have quickly received a visit from an iconic local figure threatening my 30-A livelihood if I ran against Scott Brannon!

Supposedly 2 others have already been dissuaded via this method!

What the puck is going on? :idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top