• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beach contamination in Seagrove

New posts
Well, at least it looks like my little piece of paradise..Seagrove Villa's has used the correct color sand to cover their "unwanted" seawall. And the walkover looks great. Thanks for the pics SJ!!!!
 
I have a question. Will the color of the sand change the color of the water? I hope this isn't a stupid question, just wondering. :idontno:
 
Thanks Smiling Joe for the photos. It's so interesting to see how people right next door to each other are using different colored sand. Clearly, everyone had the option to use light sand, but only some chose to do it. And the one with the sea oats planted on the light sand looks so much better than the darker sand next to it. Well, maybe the county will get clear rules and enforcement in place (and maybe a plan to have all dune rebuilding by owners be consistent) by the next time a storm comes and takes the dunes away. There should be no surprises the next time around and people now have time to plan ahead. And we'll learn first-hand the consequences of the different sea wall and sand strategies on the beach and the color of the ocean.
 
dbuck said:
I have a question. Will the color of the sand change the color of the water? I hope this isn't a stupid question, just wondering. :idontno:
Yours is not a stupid question, but a very good one. I do not know the answer. My guess is that if the color of sand on the beach changes, the water color would NOT change. My understanding is that the water color we presently have is due to having a lack of rivers flowing into the Gulf in this area. I know depth of the water and water clarity both play a vital role in water color. I do not think sand color is a factor, but again, this is only my guess.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Yours is not a stupid question, but a very good one. I do not know the answer. My guess is that if the color of sand on the beach changes, the water color would NOT change. My understanding is that the water color we presently have is due to having a lack of rivers flowing into the Gulf in this area. I know depth of the water and water clarity both play a vital role in water color. I do not think sand color is a factor, but again, this is only my guess.

If there were dark sand on the bottom it would change the appearance of the water, just like different colored swimming pools look different. But the water itself wouldn't change unless the bottom was churned up.
 
kurt said:
If there were dark sand on the bottom it would change the appearance of the water, just like different colored swimming pools look different. But the water itself wouldn't change unless the bottom was churned up.

Good response. If I had wanted dark sand and water colors, I could have just stayed in Texas.

We have been ROYALLY screwed. I have one question...are these homeowners even aware of the sand color being placed in front of their houses?? If so, I vote we hang them all from the crane at Seaside and smack them like pinatas. These are not the kind of people I want as my neighbors. Keep a look out at WC, call it what you want...but if ONE grain of dubious colored sand arrives, I will be on the next plane out of here and will personally attempt to stop it! I am that mad!!! This is criminal.

P.S. dbuck...there are never any DUMB questions! Keep asking!
 
Sueshore said:
Good response. If I had wanted dark sand and water colors, I could have just stayed in Texas.

We have been ROYALLY screwed. I have one question...are these homeowners even aware of the sand color being placed in front of their houses?? If so, I vote we hang them all from the crane at Seaside and smack them like pinatas. These are not the kind of people I want as my neighbors. Keep a look out at WC, call it what you want...but if ONE grain of dubious colored sand arrives, I will be on the next plane out of here and will personally attempt to stop it! I am that mad!!! This is criminal.

P.S. dbuck...there are never any DUMB questions! Keep asking!
Of these five or six houses in violation in Seagrove, I believe two are rentals and one of the others recently sold according to the sign in the front yard. One house, next to the Greenwood Access has not placed any fill and their back porch is falling. I think as much as they are to blame, so are people at the County.
 
When this same situation occured in Blue Mountain Beach, several members of that community and (the entire community for that matter) petitioned the Commissioners for an emergency BCC meeting. After numerous emails and direct phone calls, an emergency meeting was called.

It was during this emergency meeting that the now famous "Brown Mountain Beach" incident set the standards for which these contractors and home owners must obey. The standars were restored to higher levels and it is very clearly stated in the minutes from that meeting.

I can only urge you all to contact the commssioners on a daily basis, flood them with phone calls, emails and anything else including media coverage to get their attention. We had news 13 and channel 7 come to Blue Mountain, and we were very successful. Ride them hard until they call an emergency meeting and get the results that are once again"clearly stated" in the minutes of the past meetings.

Good luck. I will also contact them
 
Good work SJ.
Peaboy is right-call your commissioners and also call DEP -.

This sand should be removed before it can contaminate the beach even more!

Tony McNeal with DEP. <tony.mcneal@dep.state.fl.us> 850-921-7745.

Jim Martinello, DEP Enforcement & Compliance officer.
<James.Martinello@dep.state.fl.us> 850-414-7772.

Rick Harter , rick.harter@dep.state.fl.us 850-921-7746

Ask for DEP to come and officially test the sand. If they determine that the dark sand is "not beach compatible material" they can order the county to have it removed.
 
I sent an email to the email addresses above, as well as to county commissioner Scott Brannon. The email was titled:

Illegal dark brown sand imported to white sand beaches in South Walton

I hope this helps. Is there anyone else we should be contacting?

I didn't send the email to the media recommendations yet. Do we really want the media involved? If so, I'm happy to email them as well.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top