• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beach Ownership

New posts
I am one of the two men the article is talking about and I want everone to know that these people are lying. I have never done anything but fish there and only twice. They are slandering my good name in order to give the perception of merit to their case against me. Look at the county records (Jeffrey Reed) I have no history of violence in fact I was a single father for many years why I have not had a speeding ticket since I was a teenager. I am being made into a criminal for fishing on the gulf beaches.
:welcome: Come fish over here until the restraining order gets dropped and you win your libel/slander suit and can BUY their property :roll:
As long as you stay away from the Blue Mtn. properties mentioned should be free to fish!
 
I think the Gulf front owners who have deeded beach, should deed that beach back to the County or State, and in return, thereby reducing their liability, as well as the size of their property, which in turn, reduces their taxes substantially. I don't think they should be compensated for this in any other way. The public has used the beach without objection from the "land owners" for numerous years and to try and stop the public's use now, seems way too late.

Just curious as to your opinion of Kelo. What should the state or county do if they don't want to deed the beach back?
 
Thanks for the coments, your right it is sad and I never thought this kind of thing would happen to me becuase I am a non confrentational very rational person. it is tough seeing those kinds of untrue things in print when they are about you. I am optomistic though and in the mean time the more people that know about this atempt to limit the publics access to the beaches the better.
 
Just curious as to your opinion of Kelo. What should the state or county do if they don't want to deed the beach back?
The State or County should do exactly what they did to my property on which they expanded a jeep trail into a paved roadway with a 60' right of way. I still hold the deed to the property, but because the jeep trail had been used by the public for many years, they County continues to use it for a public road. As I said, I own the property, but the public has rights to 1/3 of it, just about .25 Acres. BTW, I'm still taxed on the part of the property which is the road & R/W.

Jay, thanks for posting on here. I never give much credibility to only one side of a newspaper story.
 
Last edited:
The State or County should do exactly what they did to my property on which they expanded a jeep trail into a paved roadway with a 60' right of way. I still hold the deed to the property, but because the jeep trail had been used by the public for many years, they County continues to use it for a public road. As I said, I own the property, but the public has rights to 1/3 of it, just about .25 Acres.

Jay, thanks for posting on here. I never give much credibility to only one side of a newspaper story.

What about Kelo? Where do we draw the line on public use? I say we just start throwing parties and inviting everyone to all of the great property in the US so we can take it from the rich, who always seem to have the most kick-ass land.
 
What about Kelo? Where do we draw the line on public use? I say we just start throwing parties and inviting everyone to all of the great property in the US so we can take it from the rich, who always seem to have the most kick-ass land.
I could probably win a case against the County, and have them pay me for my land. After all, the 5th Amendment reads that the gov't cannot take my land for public use without just compensation (paraphrasing).

Where do we draw the line on taking private property for public use? Good question, but I think it should be drawn sometime priort to private development getting involved in the "public use," as in a shopping mall which might bring in more tax revenues. When it is the beach which is Nature-made, and available at no cost to the beachgoer, I definitely think the use is for the good of the public. Other things need to be addressed such as adequate restroom facilities, rinsing showers, and parking. We cannot continue to encourage everyone to use private owners yards as fecal dumps for beachgoers, by not constructing ample facilities. Same goes for parking. We have a few accesses in SoWal, yet many have zero parking, unless you are parking in front of someone's home, blocking the field of view for their egress.
 
What about Kelo? Where do we draw the line on public use? I say we just start throwing parties and inviting everyone to all of the great property in the US so we can take it from the rich, who always seem to have the most kick-ass land.
From the actions of some homeowners erecting solid seawalls, we may not continue to have a beach to walk upon.

One other note, limit the tourists and non-beach front property owners, to the small space of "County deeded" beach, and you will chase money out of town faster than you can say, "Beaches Closed." The open beaches drive this economy, and if you think differently, perhaps you should look more closely at all local businesses. I cannot name one which isn't driven by the beaches/tourism. The beaches are the lifeblood of this entire area, and without them, there would be no desire from wealthy people to live on the beach.
 
Last edited:
SJ,
Are you saying that the government should only take the best private land, or only the land that everyone else really, really likes, i.e. land that could make the county a whole heap of money? Your argument is very sympathetic, but it's classic class warfare.
 
SJ,
Are you saying that the government should only take the best private land, or only the land that everyone else really, really likes, i.e. land that could make the county a whole heap of money? Your argument is very sympathetic, but it's classic class warfare.
Show me a bunch of homes built on the actual beach. I know of only a handful in Walton County. The land of which we are talking is the beach, known to be wet often, especially during storms. While it is great for walking and resting upon, and it is the cog which spins everything, it isn't truly the "best private land" for personal use.

Are you aware that private landowners have personally given access to hikers, in order to complete a 2100+ mile hiking trail from GA to Maine, crossing some of the most beautiful land imaginable? While that is possible, it seems nearly impossible to open a tiny 27 mile stretch of a God made wonder for people to view a natural wonder. Class warfare? How about calling the opposing property owners depriving me of my natural rights to experience life.

BTW, your entire post above, doesn't in the least way, represent my views. Perhaps today is Opposite Day???
 
Last edited:
Show me a bunch of homes built on the actual beach. I know of only a handful in Walton County. The land of which we are talking is the beach, known to be wet often, especially during storms. While it is great for walking and resting upon, and it is the cog which spins everything, it isn't truly the "best private land" for personal use.

Are you aware that private landowners have personally given access to hikers, in order to complete a 2100+ mile hiking trail from GA to Maine, crossing some of the most beautiful land imaginable? While that is possible, it seems nearly impossible to open a tiny 27 mile stretch of a God made wonder for people to view a natural wonder. Class warfare? How about calling the opposing property owners depriving me of my natural rights to experience life.

BTW, your entire post above, doesn't in the least way, represent my views. Perhaps today is Opposite Day???

My point is that the state should not be allowed to forcefully take private land. No matter what the view.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top