• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beach renourishment

New posts
I already have an answer to my question about the public vs private beach issue. I completely understand now. No one seems to be shy about calling beachfront people greedy so I won't be shy about expressing my opinion. Most of the people I know who have a house on the beach worked hard for what they have and they saved and were able to purchase a piece of property when it was affordable. Of course it will once again become very affordable if a big storm hits - because without renourishment no one will want to invest in south walton. Even the tourists will be going to other beaches. What then?
 
Are you saying this is a good idea?

Cape San Blas is a barrier island. If you're not familiar with what a barrier island is or its natural purpose please do some research. 50 years ago I can understand building on them, but with the current knowledge of what they are and how they act it is futile to try and rebuild a barrier island.
So 'tis my point. :blink:
 
30 years working for the Corps of Engineers and my experience with beach renourishment is its a function of money and time. Money to do it and anybodies guess at how long it takes for it to become a failure. But it will fail. That's why dredging for harbors is a routine maintenance item.
 
30 years working for the Corps of Engineers and my experience with beach renourishment is its a function of money and time. Money to do it and anybodies guess at how long it takes for it to become a failure. But it will fail. That's why dredging for harbors is a routine maintenance item.
Quite righty-right, Mr. ACoE, no doubt about it. Note the term restoration. I see this much like conservation, a returning to a past state not a permanent solution to the foibles of Mother Nature.

Again, I remit, do we walk away from this chore because it is not and end-all solution?


[FONT=Arial! important][/FONT]
 
If only the NEW Vistors could see those very dunes and small cottages of the old Grayton they would cry to know how wonderous it really was! I got the chance to stay for a week, only once, and the next time after a storm it was gone! Heart break! Thanks for you words,Diane
 
beacheart--not to be rude, but just an observation from a different location of beach world. At Gulf Shores Al. I personally when to work atleast twice a week with DH, who at the time of Ivan was incharge of redirecting the sand back to the beach. I can say truthfully that beach restoration is not as easy or as precise as some would make it seem. Money or NOT! In our case a burden NOT on the BFowners but all of us as citizens! As a few have said already, nature and GOD do the best to put things right! To me, IMHO, the beach will never belong to anyone, no matter how hard they work! Just think about what kind of world we would have if Private started popping up on all the public places the rich had managed to BUY! Hope I didn't offen anyone, I'm still on my first cup of coffee .
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top