Here, take a look at these photos.
http://www.thewiredagent.com/jettyeast.html
That is Holiday Isle.
And to set a few things straight, Brad Pickle did not find the sand right outside the Destin East Pass. Destin did and shared it with Walton County when they combined the 6 mile project. The project goes from Sandestin all the way through Crystal Beach to Hendeson State Park.
The area in the most troubleis Holiday Isle as you can see from the photos. The condo IN the water is Jetty East. AND as you can see, there are many places if you planted sea oats, they would wash away overnight.
Now, I don't mean to sound testy, but, I think a lot of people are missing the point. Maybe no one should mess with mother nature and I agree, would love to see no buildings ON the beach. BTW, my house is not built in the dunes. When I bought it, it was about 1500 feet away from the Gulf, a block off the beach. It is closer now and no water "gets in my basement".
My point that everyone seems to be missing is tourist come here and spend money to play on a beautiful pristine beach. If there is no beach to come to, then they will go elsewhere. Maybe some of you think that they will come back if and when mother nature renourishes the beach, however, get your head out of the sand. Some will, but many won't.
This entire area is based on tourist dollars, so no matter how much you agree or disagree on the current building practices, I think part of our responsibility is to insure tourist have a great time, enjoy our beaches, what little are left, and plan to return. I am far from independently wealthy and still need to make a living. Tourist are indirectly responsible for my paycheck and the paychecks I write others.
Sorry if I made everyone mad, but facts are facts.