Beachlover2
Beach Fanatic
Recd this response from Brad Pickel re beach restoration start date. While it wasn't what I wanted to hear it is interesting. Thanks to Brad for answering my question so promptly.
Well, a restart date is not really clear yet. In a nutshell, Walton County is currently working with Destin and Great Lakes Dredge and Dock to finalize the details that could lead to a restart. Some of the details left to be finalized are increased costs, availability of equipment, timing of the restart, and liability for constructing the project on properties that are suing the County and City.
Additionally, both municipalities are reviewing the ramifications of the ongoing lawsuit. Currently, the case has been accepted by the Supreme Court and our permit is valid. However, they could rule against us soon that would make the permit invalid. If the Supreme Court were to do that, like the 1st District Court of Appeals did, not only would the permit be invalid but it would have additional impacts.
One, the state would have to make statutory changes to the process for issuing permits which would lead to delays in a new permit, but more importantly, it could open the County and City up to lawsuits for takings by every single owner where we placed sand, not just the anti-group members. As you can imagine, these issues have led to GREAT concerns by all involved and that is why we don't have a start date. I am hopeful it will restart but that will be a political decision that will be made after weighing the risk of multi-million dollar lawsuits against multi-million dollar damages.
I am sorry I don't have better news or a solid start date, but this is the most accurate information I have. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Brad
Brad Pickel
Director of Beach Management
Walton County TDC
(850) 267-1216
Well, a restart date is not really clear yet. In a nutshell, Walton County is currently working with Destin and Great Lakes Dredge and Dock to finalize the details that could lead to a restart. Some of the details left to be finalized are increased costs, availability of equipment, timing of the restart, and liability for constructing the project on properties that are suing the County and City.
Additionally, both municipalities are reviewing the ramifications of the ongoing lawsuit. Currently, the case has been accepted by the Supreme Court and our permit is valid. However, they could rule against us soon that would make the permit invalid. If the Supreme Court were to do that, like the 1st District Court of Appeals did, not only would the permit be invalid but it would have additional impacts.
One, the state would have to make statutory changes to the process for issuing permits which would lead to delays in a new permit, but more importantly, it could open the County and City up to lawsuits for takings by every single owner where we placed sand, not just the anti-group members. As you can imagine, these issues have led to GREAT concerns by all involved and that is why we don't have a start date. I am hopeful it will restart but that will be a political decision that will be made after weighing the risk of multi-million dollar lawsuits against multi-million dollar damages.
I am sorry I don't have better news or a solid start date, but this is the most accurate information I have. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Brad
Brad Pickel
Director of Beach Management
Walton County TDC
(850) 267-1216