• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beach wagon

New posts

2cat

Beach Comber
For those with Beach Permits, what is the best vehicle? Jeep? Toyota Land Cruiser? Pick-up trucks? Need to carry 4 to 6, with gear.
 
You will see a wide variety. I guess it depends on what you want to carry and how many folks. Remember to never vacuum the sand out. :lol:
 
kurt said:
Remember to never vacuum the sand out. :lol:

Or do what we did, and rip out the carpet and paint the floor with truck bed liner. It works great! And, we never sweep the sand out. Because, as anyone knows, not sweeping is a heck of a lot easier than not vacuuming. :lolabove:
 
It appears that the over 6,000lb class trucks have a more difficult time floating over the sand. Consider something lighter than a Suburban-style SUV, but with real 4WD (not AWD).
 
kurt said:
You will see a wide variety. I guess it depends on what you want to carry and how many folks. Remember to never vacuum the sand out. :lol:
Oh no! I didn't vaccuum out my car one summer and I got ants making ant beds out of the sand!
 
Kimmifunn said:
Oh no! I didn't vaccuum out my car one summer and I got ants making ant beds out of the sand!

That's a real big Ant Farm there, Kimmi!
 
Old Point Washington / Grayton Beach advice: Don't drive anything you aren't planning to trade in > 2 years on the beach, unless you are planning to keep it until it rusts completely out and no longer runs.
 
So we need real 4 wheel drive, not AWD, on a smaller vehicle. Isuzu Trooper gets good marks. How about a Pathfinder? And what are these special tires I hear about? I thought mud grips just dig you into loose sand more quickly.
 
A pathfinder floats over the sand. Tires don't matter much but the wider the better. If you get a little stuck with straight wheels then let a little air out and cruise.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top