• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beaches/Surge

New posts

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
If any of you are wondering or confused about the Seawall issue. Go down to the beach where you know they are in place today and look at what this mild storm is doing. In some areas the water is already at the foot of the wall and this is where the problem will begin. The water is taking the sand at the base of the walls and making a drop off. Result: No beach! Check it out. I may try to go back and take pics but it seems mother nature is already doing her thing.....:(
 
If any of you are wondering or confused about the Seawall issue. Go down to the beach where you know they are in place today and look at what this mild storm is doing. In some areas the water is already at the foot of the wall and this is where the problem will begin. The water is taking the sand at the base of the walls and making a drop off. Result: No beach! Check it out. I may try to go back and take pics but it seems mother nature is already doing her thing.....:(



Seawalls = temporary non water proof band aid for a very large and serious laceration.

I would love to see some photos.
 
Last edited:
Bobby:

Could you please post where you are seeing seawalls interacting with the water? I was just in Blue Mountain and did not see it and I would like to see the dynamic. If it is the dunes (sand placed on top of the wall), then I did see that and it will actually lead to more sand on the beach.

Also, the current storm could lead to more sand being moved from offshore areas onto the beach near the toe of the dune (i.e. accelerated back beach recovery). We have seen that effect in other events of this size. We will know for sure after the water levels receed. Thanks in advance.

Brad
 
I have not ventured down to the water today, but I can tell you it is very blustery and from what I can see of the gulf, very churned up.
 
Brad,

From the Blue Mountain Beach Walkover, walk toward San Remo area. I stated the water is at the foot of the walls at certain spots. I only noticed this walking back from a drifty surf session. I noticed that this area of Blue Mountain drops off towards the water at a rather radical incline. I agree that these storms will help push sand back on land. But when water meets wall which is very close and this is a pretty mild storm we will have a problem. I guess what I am trying to say is I always heard the Sea walls were bad for beaches and really never understood the complete dynamic. To actually see the drop off is really an eye opener.
 
I saw a little of that last Fall during some squalls the water was at the base of seawalls before some of them were covered.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top