• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beaches/Surge

New posts
So I'm new to this forum, to FL and to the coast in general (being from north AL I'm still not that fond of sand but getting used to it). I'm also writing a paper on coastal armoring ...esp. the seawalls in Walton Co.

Does anyone have anything good to say about them?

When I first started this project I was on the side of the property owner, but now the only thing good I have left to say about seawalls is that they might keep the property owner's house from falling into the Gulf...for a while.
Are most of these property owners just desperate or misinformed, do they think it's going to work for the long term or did they just sink thousands of dollars into a short term project knowing that the next storm could wash it away?


There you go. Check your personal messages.
 
I wonder what time high tide was today. Please note. I never said water was hitting the walls. It was at the foot of the the seawall area. Then it is a rapid drop off down to the water. Brad, you are corect Blue Mountain is in dire need of some sand! Had a funn day in the surf! Had to go to PC to run from the drift!

Bobby:

It is because I respect your observations and know you that I ask these direct questions. We have a unique opportunity to evaluate the impact of any structure on the beach with a different viewpoint than most other areas because we typically have storm-induced shoreline changes and not long-term erosion. This may seem like semantics to some but as a coastal scientist it is a living laboratory. So thanks for the clarification. If anyone sees direct impacts from wall to beach with or without initial sand placement- PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance!!
bp
 
Bobby:

It is because I respect your observations and know you that I ask these direct questions. We have a unique opportunity to evaluate the impact of any structure on the beach with a different viewpoint than most other areas because we typically have storm-induced shoreline changes and not long-term erosion. This may seem like semantics to some but as a coastal scientist it is a living laboratory. So thanks for the clarification. If anyone sees direct impacts from wall to beach with or without initial sand placement- PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance!!
bp

No wonder you are "Man of the Year," you are one of the few people left who actually care. Thank you.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top