• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

best raw oysters

New posts
Freshest is the key word here. Apalachicola Bay was closed to oyster harvesting recently, maybe it still it. Too much rain and fresh water. I'd give it a week or so.
 
Had a half dozen at Caliza a couple of weeks ago that were spectacular. Almost cancelled rest of dinner to instead just order several more courses!
 
The Hightide Lounge in FWB or Nick's in the sticks or Hunt's in Panama City. I only eat oysters where they shuck them in front of me. I have lived here my whole life and would not go anywhere but these 3 joints for fresh shucked Appy's!
 
Ask the server or shucker where they are from. They're all equally fresh if they come from Apalachicola. Sometimes when they close the bay to harvesting oyster bars will get them from Louisiana.
 
I disagree. Just because they are coming from Apalachicola doesn't mean they are equally fresh. Each oyster bag is tagged and dated, and they are NOT equally fresh at different restaurants.
 
My "rule of thumb"... if the place moves a lot of raw oysters each day the better your chances of getting really fresh oysters.

I love 'em and have eaten them from most of the places they are available in SoWal. I have had "good" and "mixed" success. Some places pre-shuck, which is blasphemous in my opinion, and your chances of getting an oyster that's been hangin' out in a cooler too long go up considerably during slower periods of the day (if the oyster's look dryer than normal and have wrinkles around the edges you should risk being high maintenance and ask for a fresh dozen - you won't be happy).
 
Apalachicola oysters are very bland. Go to Acme oyster house in Baytowne Wharf. They have Louisiana oysters which are salty and yummy. Watch out for their horseradish. It's the hotest ever!!!!!!!
 
bland? Not sure where you have eaten your Apalachicola Oysters, but you probably got some watered down oysters while eating at a place you shouldn't have been eating oysters. When fresh, Apalachicola oysters are very salty and delicious. You can keep your Louisiana oysters. I've eaten Acme's.

I've eaten oysters at a few local restaurants, but I'd rather drive to Gene's, Hunt's or Capt.'s Table to eat raw oysters, in that order.
 
Apalachicola oysters are very bland. Go to Acme oyster house in Baytowne Wharf. They have Louisiana oysters which are salty and yummy. Watch out for their horseradish. It's the hotest ever!!!!!!!



Bland huh.....

Perhaps that polluted Cajun water that those ole Louisiana oysters come from have tainted your taste buds....;-)


Acme...now that's funny:clap:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top