• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Best Stocks for 2008

New posts
Great article.

My uneducated pick is a gold mining company called Yamana(AUY). MSN Money Central gives the a 7 out of 10 on the stock scouter rating which is fair. The last two days they have seen a 6-8% gain each day. They did just buy all outstanding shares for Meridian(MDG). I have been reading the "experts" think gold will clear $1,000.00 per ounce (Currently at ~$862.00)
 
Not being very familar with St Joe, other than knowing they are a major builder and landholder in FL. What are the general thought on ST JOE going forward? Does anyone share the same thought as the article states?
 
I think St. Joe will continue to go forward, or atleast sideways, because unlike many of the builders and land holders in the country , they owe practically nothing on the land. I have been watching them for the last few weeks, and they have been doing decent.
 
Who invested all of their money in country wide yesterday to watch it double today? I did on fantasy stock exchange, but I cant spend that.
 
Who invested all of their money in country wide yesterday to watch it double today? I did on fantasy stock exchange, but I cant spend that.

What was your 2007 annual return on your fantasy stock portfolio?

Did you really go "all in" (fantasy-wise) on Countrywide yesterday?


.
 
Last edited:
i have only been doing it for about a week, but the return is 20% right now. I didnt go all in on CFC but i bought 500,000 shares, and sold them all this morning. I would like to have brought that check home today.
 
i have only been doing it for about a week, but the return is 20% right now. I didnt go all in on CFC but i bought 500,000 shares, and sold them all this morning. I would like to have brought that check home today.

$2.5M+ purchase of CFC :shock:....you're right, it is a fantasy. Mazilo only owns @ 900,000, among the company insiders, you were #2.


.
 
Last edited:
I think St. Joe will continue to go forward, or atleast sideways, because unlike many of the builders and land holders in the country , they owe practically nothing on the land. I have been watching them for the last few weeks, and they have been doing decent.

I believe that the balance sheet actually shows over $625 million in outstanding debt. A far cry from practically nothing. The debt load is actually 2 times annualized REVENUE based on third quarter 2007 results and 22 times annualized cash flow. That is a huge debt load that would qualify most companies for severe junk status headed toward bankruptcy. At the current run rate, interest expense in 2008 will far exceed cash flow before interest expense. Joe has been doing everything it can to shed expenses and sell assets to remain liquid. They are in a world of hurt.

What have they been doing decent over the last few weeks? Laying off more people? They continue to be in the tank and fourth quarter numbers will likely show another major downturn in revenues and profits versus prior year and prior quarter.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top