• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Big red brick house on 30-A

New posts

desertbluff

Beach Lover
There is a huge two-story red brick house on a very large shaded lot on the south side of 30-A ............overlooking a lake, I think. We've visited here several times over the years and always wonder about that house every time we drive by. Just curious if someone knows about it. It looks old.....is it historic?
 
There is a huge two-story red brick house on a very large shaded lot on the south side of 30-A ............overlooking a lake, I think. We've visited here several times over the years and always wonder about that house every time we drive by. Just curious if someone knows about it. It looks old.....is it historic?

I believe you are referring to "The Davis House" on Redfish lake. Many people living here longer than I knows the history, but It has been here for a few years and was previously surrounded by additional land.
 
It use to be owned by Dr. Davies. I may have the spelling wrong. He was an eccentric surgeon out of Alabama. That was his vacation home and he owned lots of property around the house. His son took over years ago and sold much of the land.

I remember one story where he was flying down here and fell asleep at the wheel and was awakened by the air force! They were not real happy.
 
If you want to go way back, let me tell you that the pool was built several years before the house. The pool was just a swimming pool in the woods, and then for a few years it was an abandoned swimming pool in the woods. I know cuz I was one of those local rascals that use to cruise out there on a warm Saturday night, drink a six-pack, laying on the hood of an old pick-up, and howl at the moon. :blush:
 
If you want to go way back, let me tell you that the pool was built several years before the house. The pool was just a swimming pool in the woods, and then for a few years it was an abandoned swimming pool in the woods. I know cuz I was one of those local rascals that use to cruise out there on a warm Saturday night, drink a six-pack, laying on the hood of an old pick-up, and howl at the moon. :blush:

And if what my brother told me is true, the pool was put in by Miss Lois Maxon, who renovated the Wesley house at Eden. He worked for her as a teenager and probably howled at the moon too.

I'd like to know if that's true, as I am too lazy to do a title search. :blush:
 
And if what my brother told me is true, the pool was put in by Miss Lois Maxon, who renovated the Wesley house at Eden. He worked for her as a teenager and probably howled at the moon too.

I'd like to know if that's true, as I am too lazy to do a title search. :blush:

All of that is true. I swam in that pool several times when it was all alone in the woods in the 60's as my grandmother was Miss Maxon's housekeeper at Eden; then I worked for Miss Maxon after she gave Eden to the state and moved to Pensacola. She told me a lot about her adventures in south Walton during the time I spent with her. Dr. Davies acquired the property afterward and built the house on 30A in front of the pool; and his mother lived in the carriage house on the property for a time in the mid-to late 70's. She had a big doberman named Henry -- sweet dog once he got to know you. Dr. Davies' son Gabe and his wife (Suzette, I think) and their kids lived in the house for a time in the late 90's, then moved away. It's a real nice house, and a beautiful property.
 
I stayed with Dr. Davies mother and the dobie when I was a teenager ( late 1970,s), something spooked her when Clayton was out of town and my parents sent me over there to stay the night with her. She was such a delightful woman! She drove all over the place in a Cutlass with her dog.
 
Love reading these posts. I know of the home that ya'll are speaking of and enjoy reading the different aspects of it. Someone needs to write a book!!!:idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top