• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Blackballing Renters

New posts

aroberts

Beach Comber
Has anyone given thought to creating a list of renters that no one would ever want in their property. We have about one renter per year who seems to want to trash our property with no remorse. Usually it's not destructive just extra cleaning and hassle. Our place is in Watercolor and usually in high demand so we can choose our renters.
 
Great idea however I would ?think? you could get into some liability issues for slandering someone. You would have to make sure you have your facts 100%. Or?.you could maybe create it under the guise it?s for ?entertainment purposes only? I assume that is how the tabloids do it. Good question for a lawyer.
There is a lot of information on the internet these days that will allow one to do a minor background check on someone. For instance?.whatever state they reside do a search to find out if the court records are online. Not going to specifically say good guy-bad guy, but if they have been sued, arrested for disorderly conduct a bunch of times you can generally paint a picture of them. States vary as to what is online. FL is a very public record friendly state for instance, whereas Georgia has next to nothing. Also as silly and simply as this may seem, see if they have a Facebook. If they have a bunch of pics on there of a weekly beer can stacking contest, or pics of their own home which looks trashed well?.. It?s amazing the personal information people put on Facebook.
 
Great idea however I would ?think? you could get into some liability issues for slandering someone. You would have to make sure you have your facts 100%. Or?.you could maybe create it under the guise it?s for ?entertainment purposes only? I assume that is how the tabloids do it. Good question for a lawyer.
There is a lot of information on the internet these days that will allow one to do a minor background check on someone. For instance?.whatever state they reside do a search to find out if the court records are online. Not going to specifically say good guy-bad guy, but if they have been sued, arrested for disorderly conduct a bunch of times you can generally paint a picture of them. States vary as to what is online. FL is a very public record friendly state for instance, whereas Georgia has next to nothing. Also as silly and simply as this may seem, see if they have a Facebook. If they have a bunch of pics on there of a weekly beer can stacking contest, or pics of their own home which looks trashed well?.. It?s amazing the personal information people put on Facebook.

I might be wrong but I think it's as simple as just making sure your property is "not available" if the offending parties try and rent again. I doubt there would be any kind of list or website that would have names or details or specifics of incidents involved. I have a list, but it's just for my benefit, not for publication.
 
During my days as a property manager, I had guests that were not welcome to come back to our properties for well documented reasons. I simply had an index card box with names. Really didn't need the box, we seemed to remember the names if they called again to make a reservation.

Things to do to get on the LIST: not pay your rent or cancel payment, unruly and have disturbed other vacationers repeatedly, have a pet, obviously smoked in the property, rent in your name for your kids and their 50 friends, make repeated complaints because a minority is swimming in the pool, try to sue because you contracted AIDs swimming in the pool, stealing furniture, check out a day late prohiting the next renter from a place to stay, accidentally shot a firearm in the unit and leave it when you check out, then demand we mail it to you..............it seems I can go on and on.

I did not share this info with other agencies because of liability issues.
 
Great idea however I would ?think? you could get into some liability issues for slandering someone. You would have to make sure you have your facts 100%. Or?.you could maybe create it under the guise it?s for ?entertainment purposes only? I assume that is how the tabloids do it. Good question for a lawyer.
There is a lot of information on the internet these days that will allow one to do a minor background check on someone. For instance?.whatever state they reside do a search to find out if the court records are online. Not going to specifically say good guy-bad guy, but if they have been sued, arrested for disorderly conduct a bunch of times you can generally paint a picture of them. States vary as to what is online. FL is a very public record friendly state for instance, whereas Georgia has next to nothing. Also as silly and simply as this may seem, see if they have a Facebook. If they have a bunch of pics on there of a weekly beer can stacking contest, or pics of their own home which looks trashed well?.. It?s amazing the personal information people put on Facebook.


It's not libelous if it's true. But truth can be subjective so you're correct in saying it would be important to give just the facts with zero feelings.

Isn't there a website for women to post bad experiences with ex's? I would think a rental owner with pics and facts should be safe if a website as subjective as a rate-a-date can exist. :idontno:
 
Aids from the pool? That's a new one. I feel lucky to have not made any on your list.
 
When we find that our home has been disrespected, I just tell the rental management company not to rent to those people any more. So we do blackball people.

We pay extra to have the same people managing the cleaning of our home after each rental, so they typically notice when something is damaged that wasn't damaged prior to that renter's arrival.
 
Aids from the pool? That's a new one. I feel lucky to have not made any on your list.

I was thinking the same thing about the pool. I always thought you only got it from a toilet seat.
 
I was thinking the same thing about the pool. I always thought you only got it from a toilet seat.

The AIDs incident was back in the late 80's during the AIDs hysteria. The guest hired an attorney and we were notified of a pending lawsuit. Our response was to notify our insurance company, then not respond to the letter from the guest. Nothing further came of it. Those that are in property mamagement can tell some crazy stories, and this is just the tip of the iceburg.
 
I was under the impression that all of the local rental companies already had a "do not rent list" they had compiled over the years. ;-)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top