• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Blooms and Fishing

New posts

toofargone

Beach Lover
Will be in town this coming Sunday. Are the algae bloom showing up in the Gulf yet?
How has the surf fishing been from Grayton to Seagrove area? What's been biting?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Re: Blooms and Fising

toofargone said:
Will be in town this coming Sunday. Are the algae bloom showing up in the Gulf yet?
How has the surf fishing been from Grayton to Seagrove area? What's been biting?

Thanks
I began seeing some algae in the water over the past weekend. Sargassum Grass is also beginning to come ashore in clumps. Surf fishing has been good in the area, but the algae and Sargassum will be too much of a hassle before long. Redfish are biting and so are the Deer(yellow) Flies.
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

As of yesterday there were no reports of jellies or red tide. The more east you go the more the water gets yeccky from the freaking beach renourishment project. Rain is causing some localised flooding clouding the water at storm water runoff locations. NMFS station data shows iron concentration is up (probably from runoff) but ocean Ph is luckily up (acid). Dissolved oxygen is up. Probably why there is more algae, well, that and the strong wind. Just FYI, Ph must be down (base) or neutral, iron concentration must be high and dissolved oxygen must be up to trigger a red tide bloom.
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

Gone,

If you're interested in Pompano fishing when you come down, there is a great article at this link. Pompano
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

Just read the article. I am not an experienced pompano fisherman, but learned much from reading it. However, he lost me when describing how to set up the rig.
 
thanks for the pompano info. I usually do well off the beach, but those algae blooms can be a pain. :bang: For those of you fortunate enough to be on the beach the last few days, anyone see any fish being caught?
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

Gone-

I'll admit it is no fun to dig through a ten pound ball of slime in search of what used to be your bait. Hopefully you'll have clean lines on your trip.

JB-

Click on the link below for a good pic of a similar pomp rig. I'm going to try to tie a few myself before our trip in a couple weeks. It is way more fun to me to try to do them myself rather than buy them anyway.

Pomp Rig
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

Good link. Thanks. I am gussing you can buy pre-tied pompano rigs at just about any tackle shop? I know sand fleas are preferred bait. Do most people scoop them up on the beach or do they buy them?
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

I'm not sure if you can buy them. They make a sand flea rake that works pretty well if you can find them. I'm going to pick one up on the way down. I'll probably wind up raking up cigarette butts and beer cans.
 
Re: Blooms and Fising

Sand fleas are THE way to go. Fresh peeled shrimp pieces on a jig setup have worked well for me in the past. You can buy dead sand fleas at Yellowfin in Grayton. Can't wait. :cool:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top