• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Buttons~~~~~

New posts

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
This might be strange, but I am looking for buttons and need help as to where to look. Funky, fancy buttons - odds and non-matching, various sizes.

Does anyone know of a good source? Thank you in advance ;-)
 
My drawer. :roll: Why do I save them? I will send you what I have.
 
I have a big box of them, too. Crazy, huh?
 
I save them too, just in case I need them. Unfortunately, none are particularly funky. But I do know there are a ton of fun things to do with them! Lot's of cool looking jewelry and stuff.
 
This might be strange, but I am looking for buttons and need help as to where to look. Funky, fancy buttons - odds and non-matching, various sizes.

Does anyone know of a good source? Thank you in advance ;-)

Lynnie Lynnie what are we going to do with you! There's nothing strange about wanting to have buttons. In the antiques world they are highly prized. Buttons are flat out wonderful and highly addictive once you start collecting them. I know a few antiques mavens out there who are hopeless.

Google "collectible buttons" and you'll come up with a lot of interesting hits. Look on Ebay, too. And best of all, hit the antiques malls wherever you see them.

I have a few I would share with you but you'll have to get them at the fabulous Mermaid Cove!! We'll be there in the fall to hand deliver. :wub: :wave:
 
Go to a specialty knitting store - they have some amazing buttons - bone, handblown glass, carved wood, stone etc.

Buttons are one of my "hoard" items. It's amazing all the stuff you get in those little packets attached to clothes. Comes in very handy come Halloween/Parade time.
 
Last edited:
The antiques malls usually have Mason jars full of them for a couple of bucks. I don't know where one of those is around here but....

When I was a kid my mom had a metal tin full of them and I spent hours sorting and playing with them. I started a tin like that when I moved out and believe it or not all of my kids have spent hours sorting and playing with them. It is kind of soothing in a weird way.
 
Am going to Scott Antiques today and gonna find me some groovy buttons - I just feel it!
 
Let us know what you find! My great-grandparents owned a button factory in I believe the 1920s and 30s. My mom, her brother and the grandkids all have some mother-of-pearl and bone antique buttons that are just beautiful.

Several of us also have buttons that were reportedly from my grandmother's going-away suit from her wedding. They are hand carved mother of pearl with a little landscape scene ... just incredible. My mom and aunt have had them turned into pendants that we all treasure. :wub:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top