Lady D
SoWal Insider
We canoed on the Econfina Creek last year and it was nice but really lacked places to pull off and rest like sandbars. Never had canoed before but successfully canoed the whole 7 miles in 3 and a half hours and we did not tump over. I have to say this place really freaked us out because it looked like you were canoeing in the movie Deliverance. When we arrived back to the canoe place after being picked up the guy asked if we had encountered anyone swinging off of ropes into the water trying to tump us over. He explained they had to call police before because of that very thing. The rope swings up high really had us questioning things. When he said that that is all I needed to hear! We did not go off in any of the springs along the trip but I now wished we had. Wondering if anyone has canoed the Blackwater River near Pensacola? It seems more suited to our having access to ample big sandbars where we could pull off and picnic! Any other canoe rental site suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I know you guys might be tired of a nonresident being on the forum sight but it is how I find out where the best places are for doing the things we like to do like canoeing. This sight is nice and informative! Kurt, is the Blackwater perfect for the beginner like us? Seeing as we have only canoed once we are looking for the easiest to handle until we get good at it. That might be a while, hee hee! There are wonderful canoeing places here in Tennessee at Linden and Waverly, Tennessee near Nashville which is around 200 miles from here. You would have to make a weekend trip out of that one. It is just that they close down at the end of October for the winter.