Cape San Blas - Trip Report-Pics now posted in gallery
I'm a little late in posting this. We got home a week ago from spending a week at the Cape. So many of you were so helpful in answering questions for me before my trip I wanted to let you all know how it went.
We absolutely loved it! In the past we've stayed in Seaside and Seacrest. This year we really wanted something that felt more like old Florida with more nature, fewer tourists and a decent price for a weeks stay. The Cape was all this and more for us.
We drove 13 hours from Houston. The worst part for me was the last stretch from Panama City east to Cape San Blas. The red lights were brutal.
We rented from Paradise Coast Vacation Rentals in Cape San Blas and they were really accomadating and friendly.
Our first walk down the beach boardwalk to the sand was quite a thrill. It had been a long time since I had hear the sand squeak underfoot. The dunes were gorgeous and the sea oats were taller than my 6 year old boys. The beaches were beautiful and we saw little to no erosion. As an avid seasheller, I was so happy to find so many big shells intact. I even found several nice pieces of sea glass!
For a change of scenery, a couple of days we drove down to the end of the cape to the St. Joe State Park and beached ourselves there. It was even more beautiful. And I'm not exaggerating to say the dunes were 2 stories tall in some places. Absolutely breathtaking. It was interesting to me how different the water was from one place to the next on the Cape. At our beach, the water was dark green/brown. At the park, about 10 minutes from where we stayed, it was very blue and clear.
During the week we did make a couple of trips to Panama City. One day for my husband's birthday for lunch and to reserve a pontoon boat.
Our day of boating was wonderful as well. We went to Shell Island. Boy has that changed since this time last year. The dock where the tour boats usually let the tourists off was completely covered in sand! Also, the day we were there, the water was really calm and so blue. Looked like the Bahamas.
We were able to just throw out the anchor and swim in the cut between the bay and the Gulf. The water was as clear as an aquarium. My boys thought that was quite an adventure.
We saw lots of dolphins in the bay. It's not a trip to us without saying hi to the dolphins.
From there, we drove to Seaside for the afternoon and crashed the beach there. The water was absolutely beautiful! I never get tired of the walk over the pavillions there. I could just stand and gaze forever. But, there was shopping to be done so I ditched the husband and kids and headed to Perspicacity. A girl can only handle so much nature ya know!
We did eat at Loggerhead Grill a couple of times. Really good food. Nice salads and really good pizza.
We didn't think the Cape was as remote as some of the information I had read. Don't let that scare you if anyone is considering going there. It's definitely not commercial, but you can have all your needs met. Pharmacies and grocery stores very close by. But, I live in Houston, so I guess close is relative. Anything within 30 minutes for us is close.
We spent our last evening at the beach by the lighthouse. Made a campfire and roasted marshmallows and hot dogs. We were the only ones there. I loved that there are palm trees on the beaches.There was a really wonderful tropical feel to the place.
We would definitely go again!
Edited to say pics are now posted under my name in the gallery!! I had some really good ones of the area that were too big and it freaks me out to change the size, so mostly you'll have to look at the ones with the family in them.
I'm a little late in posting this. We got home a week ago from spending a week at the Cape. So many of you were so helpful in answering questions for me before my trip I wanted to let you all know how it went.
We absolutely loved it! In the past we've stayed in Seaside and Seacrest. This year we really wanted something that felt more like old Florida with more nature, fewer tourists and a decent price for a weeks stay. The Cape was all this and more for us.
We drove 13 hours from Houston. The worst part for me was the last stretch from Panama City east to Cape San Blas. The red lights were brutal.
We rented from Paradise Coast Vacation Rentals in Cape San Blas and they were really accomadating and friendly.
Our first walk down the beach boardwalk to the sand was quite a thrill. It had been a long time since I had hear the sand squeak underfoot. The dunes were gorgeous and the sea oats were taller than my 6 year old boys. The beaches were beautiful and we saw little to no erosion. As an avid seasheller, I was so happy to find so many big shells intact. I even found several nice pieces of sea glass!
For a change of scenery, a couple of days we drove down to the end of the cape to the St. Joe State Park and beached ourselves there. It was even more beautiful. And I'm not exaggerating to say the dunes were 2 stories tall in some places. Absolutely breathtaking. It was interesting to me how different the water was from one place to the next on the Cape. At our beach, the water was dark green/brown. At the park, about 10 minutes from where we stayed, it was very blue and clear.
During the week we did make a couple of trips to Panama City. One day for my husband's birthday for lunch and to reserve a pontoon boat.
Our day of boating was wonderful as well. We went to Shell Island. Boy has that changed since this time last year. The dock where the tour boats usually let the tourists off was completely covered in sand! Also, the day we were there, the water was really calm and so blue. Looked like the Bahamas.
We were able to just throw out the anchor and swim in the cut between the bay and the Gulf. The water was as clear as an aquarium. My boys thought that was quite an adventure.
We saw lots of dolphins in the bay. It's not a trip to us without saying hi to the dolphins.
From there, we drove to Seaside for the afternoon and crashed the beach there. The water was absolutely beautiful! I never get tired of the walk over the pavillions there. I could just stand and gaze forever. But, there was shopping to be done so I ditched the husband and kids and headed to Perspicacity. A girl can only handle so much nature ya know!
We did eat at Loggerhead Grill a couple of times. Really good food. Nice salads and really good pizza.
We didn't think the Cape was as remote as some of the information I had read. Don't let that scare you if anyone is considering going there. It's definitely not commercial, but you can have all your needs met. Pharmacies and grocery stores very close by. But, I live in Houston, so I guess close is relative. Anything within 30 minutes for us is close.
We spent our last evening at the beach by the lighthouse. Made a campfire and roasted marshmallows and hot dogs. We were the only ones there. I loved that there are palm trees on the beaches.There was a really wonderful tropical feel to the place.
We would definitely go again!
Edited to say pics are now posted under my name in the gallery!! I had some really good ones of the area that were too big and it freaks me out to change the size, so mostly you'll have to look at the ones with the family in them.
Your report was wonderful and I really enjoyed reading it. Sounds like heaven to me!
What a wonderful sound ~