• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Cape San Blas - Trip Report

New posts
Beckster, I loved your report! We were there 3 weeks ago (have I really been back only 3 weeks :eek: seems like a year!) I loved it there. I do have to ask, did you have any problems with the skeeters at night?
 
It's been about 30 years or more since I've been in the area, but tell me a little bit about the area. Don't worry, I will Google some additional info, but it's nice to get some first hand info. For instance, a lot of crowds, traffic? A few restaurants, grocery stores? Did you go over to St. George?
 
Johnrudy said:
For instance, a lot of crowds, traffic?
No
A few restaurants, grocery stores?
A few restaurants. The Loggerhead is right on the Cape.
The charming Indian Pass Raw Bar on 30A.
The yummiest food in Port St Joe proper is at Provisions Restaurant and Catering; Jody used to be in a little hole in the wall and now she has moved into a real space at 301 Williams, she hopes to be all moved in and ready to rumble in the next couple weeks. Her food is exquisite.
Only one "real" grocery store in PSJ, the Piggly Wiggly, but there are convenience stores here and there.
 
Johnrudy
I do have some pics but have never posted same on this forum before. I'll do some homework and see if I can figure it out.
Also, as you might see from my future pics, there were no crowds on the cape, unless you count standing in line behind two kids at Scallop Cove waiting on some hand dipped Blue Bell cones. :funn:
The traffic on the cape was very light as well as through Port St. Joe. The only nightmare was Panama City which we had to go through more times than I wanted. Cil steered you right on the restaurants and grocery stores. I can't imagine Piggly Wiggly not having everything you would need. After doing this Florida vacation for many years I've decided that I will not spend another afternoon of my funn time at the grocery store. I loaded up enough food to last a week from home and all I had to do was grab some eggs when we got there. We keep it very low key on vacation and it's all about easy.
Lots of chicken salad sandwiches and hot dogs. We also ate out 3-4 times for big satisfying meals. Momma don't wanna cook on vacation : ;-)
I did forget to mention we went to Appalachicola one morning and my gosh there was some fun shopping there!!! If anyone is seriously into seashell/cottage decor you must see the store called Avenue E. To die for.
We did not go to St. George but I hear good things about it.
My overall impression of the area was very laid back and easy. We stayed on the beach side, but not beach front. We didn't have to cross any busy street to get to the beach access, we just drove our van down the cul de sac and hauled our stuff for the day down. If anyone is considering going that has children that want more commercial entertainment, you'll have to go to Panama City. We did that for 1 day for boat rental. There are pontoon boats available on the Cape, but it was more expensive than PCB.
Also, if anyone is interested you can ride horses on the beach. It was $50 an hour so that was out of our budget. For the same money, the 4 of us enjoyed a half day on a boat. All the comforts of home are on the cape. Cable, possible wireless connection depending on where you stay, phones, etc.

skippertoo

http://www.paradise-coast.com/houses.cfm is who we rented through.
You could also check with Anchor Realty. The closer you stay to St. Joe Park, the prettier the dunes and water will be. The charge to enter the park is $4 per day. Well worth it. There is also camping at the park.

cil

No problem on the pm. You were very helpful!!

aquaticbiology
It was hot hot hot when we were there also. We usually enjoy an overcast day or two at the beach, but we didn't get it this year. Lots of sun. I also heard about people going to the point, but I just couldn't figure out an easy way so skipped it. I was not going to walk it in the heat.

ktschris

skeeters! Yes we had skeeters. The walk from our house included a section of boardwalk that went right through the piney woods. I'm sure we looked ridiculous running full out with all our gear to try to avoid the swarms of them.
We finally figured out if we wrapped up in our beach towels or ran fanning our towels, they wouldn't get us. The first couple of days were the worst because there was no breeze from the ocean. The wind changed, and it later got breezier and the bugs weren't so bad.

I think someone also asked me about Seaside. We went to Seaside just for an afternoon after we spent the morning on a pontoon in Panama City. We just used the pavillion at Pensacola St to rinse off and loaded back up and went "home" to the cape. It felt a bit like culture shock to be in Seaside...you know, people with their cappucinos and laptops on the sidewalk in their matching clothes. Now I'm not dissing that, cuz I've certainly done my share of that kind of vacationing in Seaside and love it. It was just weird to be there just for the afternoon when we had been in such a different environment all week....away from civilization :lol:

I'll work on the photos. I would love to share them with you all.
Thanks
Beckster
 
beckster said:
I'll work on the photos. I would love to share them with you all.
Thanks
Beckster
Beck, if your photos are as interesting as your trip reports have been, I can't wait! :clap_1:
Best reading I've done in days.
 
peapod1980 said:
Beck, if your photos are as interesting as your trip reports have been, I can't wait! :clap_1:
Best reading I've done in days.
Boy, isn't that the truth. I can't wait either. And I'm seriously considering a short vacation to the Cape. When we went to the Abacos in June it was great and all that, but it just takes soooooo long to get there and back! I'm trying to find a place that dosen't take 24 hrs. to get to and isn't horribly crowded either (like other areas in the Panhandle.)
 
Cil said:
No

A few restaurants. The Loggerhead is right on the Cape.
The charming Indian Pass Raw Bar on 30A.
The yummiest food in Port St Joe proper is at Provisions Restaurant and Catering; Jody used to be in a little hole in the wall and now she has moved into a real space at 301 Williams, she hopes to be all moved in and ready to rumble in the next couple weeks. Her food is exquisite.
Only one "real" grocery store in PSJ, the Piggly Wiggly, but there are convenience stores here and there.

I KNEW it was charming!!!!! :lol:
 
Great report, Beckster. I'd love to find shells! Maybe someday we'll get there when we can stay in the area a bit longer. Right now our vacations are at most a week long -- maybe two weeks in a row next year -- then 3 weeks -- then 4 weeks in a row...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top