• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Cape San Blas

New posts

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Have any of you stayed at Cape San Blas before ?? I am thinking it is time for a change back to more like Seagrove was 20 years ago and this place looks like it fits the bill. I see many rentals avail at Barrier Dunes. I also like the idea that our dog can be on the beach at any time of the day.

Thanks for any input
Skip
 
We've been to St. George, which is right near Cape san Blas. It is definitely less developed. The water isn't nearly as blue as SoWal, but the beaches are nice. It has its good points.
 
Make sure you bring all the food you'll need to eat for as long as you think you'll be there. There are no restaurants or grocery stores. Bring all the clothes you'll need too. There's no shopping. And bring books and magazines and videos too.

If you want a civilized escape, this is one place to go.
 
We are moving to the Cape today! Have been way out past Indian Pass for the past two months, and the Cape is where I take my dogs.

Actually, there is a restaurant, the Loggerhead Grill. It is just a little ways down the road, where Beachcombers Pizza used to be. I intend to try it soon.
I had a link to the Loggerhead's website, when I find it I will post it.

But yeah, the barrier dunes are wa-ay out there, you'd have to drive to the Loggerhead, or to Port St Joe to go grocery-shopping at the Piggly-Wiggly.
And yes--zero shopping. You can drive to Apalachicola for that.

Dogs rule at the beach here! It's great fun. Of course, you have to be a courteous dog owner, pick up the leash when necessary, and clean up after your pooch. Yesterday the water was quite blue and the sand sparkly white.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Cil !! Hopefully more opinions will come in as well. It does look deserted there but I think I am ready for a change. We have been getting more restless to see a different beach since Seagrove is changing sooooo much and it is getting very expensive as well. Just looking for something different.
 
How expensive is the insurance there? Is it difficult to get? I know they get a lot of wash in that area when the hurricanes/TS come through
 
Just_In_Thyme said:
How expensive is the insurance there? Is it difficult to get? I know they get a lot of wash in that area when the hurricanes/TS come through

The flood insurance issue is problematic. It is one of the few places in the country where the government will not write FEMA flood policies -- I think because of massive erosion problems. It is not a stable beach at all. With all these hurricanes, the private (and very pricey) flood insurance programs are pulling out or have pulled out. People are having to go without flood insurance. Last I heard there was a movement to get the rules changed so Cape San Blas can be on the FEMA flood program. Not sure if it's a good idea though. Probably the reason it is so quiet is that building there is so risky.

30-A is going to change and grow even more as it dawns on more people that flood and storm surge risks are pretty low, unless you are on the gulf. It is going to be built out in the relatively near future. To paraphrase Dan Patrick, you can't stop it ... you can only hope to contain it.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top