• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Casual Recommendations?

New posts

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Sorry to beat everyone down with the same old lame post, but I leave for SOWAL in a few hours and don't have time to do a proper search. Looking for something in the vein of Red Bar and the old Shades food and price-wise. For upscale, we go Cafe 30A, and B&A. Borago always seemed a little too fancy for me - like I needed to tuck in my t-shirt. Nope, its Red Bar/Shades feel that I'm looking for here, and need a couple of suggestions, especially anything thats opened in the last year or two that we've missed. Also, did I read that something similar to Fermintations has opened, and is it also true that I can't get my oyster fix at Hurricane's anymore?
 
I recommend you leave your shirt tail out and eat where ever you want! Have a great trip! We look forward to your beach blog!
 
Kirkus said:
Sorry to beat everyone down with the same old lame post, but I leave for SOWAL in a few hours and don't have time to do a proper search. Looking for something in the vein of Red Bar and the old Shades food and price-wise. For upscale, we go Cafe 30A, and B&A. Borago always seemed a little too fancy for me - like I needed to tuck in my t-shirt. Nope, its Red Bar/Shades feel that I'm looking for here, and need a couple of suggestions, especially anything thats opened in the last year or two that we've missed. Also, did I read that something similar to Fermintations has opened, and is it also true that I can't get my oyster fix at Hurricane's anymore?
We haven't found a substitute for the old Shades. It's not that we don't like the new one, it's just that it has a totally different ambiance -- very slick and noisy, as opposed to laid back and beachy. The prices on the menu have increased, and the portions have decreased. For example, the fish sandwiches no longer come with cole slaw, and the piece of fish is smaller. If you get a salad with their house dressing, they add the dressing themselves, rather than placing the plastic squirt bottle on the table. (Maybe that's because too many bottles of that awesome dressing were stolen ... I actually only stole one ... on closing night ...and that was with permission).

I love Red Bar for lunch, and I know that this is blasphemous to say on this board (I'm waiting for the hate mail as I submit this reply :funn: ), but I've never liked the dinner menu at Red Bar. I'd rather have a burger or salad (it fits the ambiance better), but as you know, they don't serve that at night.

So, as a result, we've been cooking a lot. We'll buy fresh fish or steamed shrimp from Goatfeathers, grill the fish (with EVOO, garlic salt, and pepper) on the George Foreman with removable grates (easy to clean, fast, and don't have to stand over a hot outdoor grill), and add a Dole boxed salad (stays fresher longer because the greens don't get bruised as they do in the bags) and maybe some corn or another veggie. Salad dressing - just a little EVOO and vinegar with a touch of garlic salt poured directly over the greens and tossed.
 
Why don't you give the SeaBar a whirl? It's right across the street from 331. They have some awesome entertainment! I don't think they'll let you in if your shirt tail is tucked in! It's about as casual as you can get. ;-)
 
Haven't heard of Seabar before. Will need to look into it. And is there a restaurant called 331? Seems I've seen it come up before, but I can't place it. Is it the place at the foot of the bridge at the bay that's run by the Red Bar or Shades people?
 
Kirkus said:
Haven't heard of Seabar before. Will need to look into it. And is there a restaurant called 331? Seems I've seen it come up before, but I can't place it. Is it the place at the foot of the bridge at the bay that's run by the Red Bar or Shades people?

Yes, that's where 331 is and Seabar is across the road. Both are run by Oli of the RedBar.
Here's a link http://www.the3thirty1.com/
 
Sounds like I've nearly filled up my dance card for lunches/dinners. Thanks everyone! And what the heck happened to Hurricanes? Is something else there? I used to sit there with a Red Stripe while my girls hit the little shops. It's always so sad when a bar goes away and you feel like you should have gotten closer. :cool:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top