• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Catamaran washes ashore

New posts

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Over the last week there has been a catamaran anchored off the beach. Well Friday waves gave it a beating and it started to sink. I called the coast guard but they didn't
seem to do anything. Saturday morning most of the boat was ashore right near the Okaloosa /Sowal Cty line. Part can still be seen in the water about 100 feet offshore. For the last two days the BSW guys have been working on breaking up this boat and hauling it away. When I questioned them about whose it was they thought it belonged to a guy who has a place right there. When I asked if they are going to charge him for their time - they just laughed. Im I wrong or should the owner be paying the bill to clean the beach up. He will probably file a claim on this piece of crap. He had it anchored right where the waves broke and every wave flooded the bow.
 
Im I wrong or should the owner be paying the bill to clean the beach up.
Well they cant very well charge this person or they would be charging every person that has a walkover, deck etc. that breaks up during a storm. But if they DONT clean it up people will be complaining about them leaving crap on the beach.
 
Over the last week there has been a catamaran anchored off the beach. Well Friday waves gave it a beating and it started to sink. I called the coast guard but they didn't
seem to do anything. Saturday morning most of the boat was ashore right near the Okaloosa /Sowal Cty line. Part can still be seen in the water about 100 feet offshore. For the last two days the BSW guys have been working on breaking up this boat and hauling it away. When I questioned them about whose it was they thought it belonged to a guy who has a place right there. When I asked if they are going to charge him for their time - they just laughed. Im I wrong or should the owner be paying the bill to clean the beach up. He will probably file a claim on this piece of crap. He had it anchored right where the waves broke and every wave flooded the bow.

I thought that recent changes in law made him financially responsible. But then someone would have had to come out and document the thing. He will probably just make a claim for insurance and that will be passed along to rest of us.
 
Well they cant very well charge this person or they would be charging every person that has a walkover, deck etc. that breaks up during a storm. But if they DONT clean it up people will be complaining about them leaving crap on the beach.

They could have charged people, they just chose not too.
 
They could have charged people, they just chose not too.
I didnt realize the TDC had the authority to charge anyone anything to clean the beach. I thought they could just haul it off.
 
I didnt realize the TDC had the authority to charge anyone anything to clean the beach. I thought they could just haul it off.


If the BCC can establish the authority to charge you to access the beach and to charge you to bring your dog on the beach, then they could certainly establish in their ordinance a charge for cleaning your stuff from the beach, if they so choose to do so. But it is a whole lot easier to take dollars from people that have little to no voice than to establish a fair system where those that actually cause the services to be used get to pay for them.
 
But it is a whole lot easier to take dollars from people that have little to no voice than to establish a fair system where those that actually cause the services to be used get to pay for them.
Pretty sure that IS the case right now. I can just about guarantee that there is more tourist trash on the beach than storm damaged sailboats.
 
This was about a 30 foot catamaran. They are breaking it apart with sledge hammers to get rid of it. This is no small project - they have been at it for 2 days already.
 
All I can say is that the poor guys are just doing their job...they dont make the rules, they just clean up the beach. And we, as citizens, dont pay for them to do what they were doing. For all we know it could be a job that could have been done in a few hours and they are "doin the dog" and making it last a few days so they can ogle the springbreakers. Geezzz... As far it it being someones boat and we are ASSUMING that the owner doesnt care about it getting destroyed etc....and are just sitting there waiting for a entity to clean up after them while they collect an insurance check...come on folks...the guys working for the TDC dont really know WHO it belongs to. Why is this bothering anyone? The mess is being cleaned up....the guys are working and getting a paycheck....they laughed when asked about who was paying for their time (like THEY care) so it must not have been TOO MUCH of a strain....as far as I am concerned...its NOT MY boat..I dont sign their checks, nor does it come out of tax money I pay..its NONE OF my business. I am just glad to see that local people HAVE A JOB and ARE DOING IT. How long would it take any of you to complain about the boat (or pieces of a boat) sitting there for a month or two while "the owner" waited to finalize insurance claims? Get over it.
</end rant>
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top