• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Catamaran washes ashore

New posts
All I can say is that the poor guys are just doing their job...they dont make the rules, they just clean up the beach. And we, as citizens, dont pay for them to do what they were doing. For all we know it could be a job that could have been done in a few hours and they are "doin the dog" and making it last a few days so they can ogle the springbreakers. Geezzz... As far it it being someones boat and we are ASSUMING that the owner doesnt care about it getting destroyed etc....and are just sitting there waiting for a entity to clean up after them while they collect an insurance check...come on folks...the guys working for the TDC dont really know WHO it belongs to. Why is this bothering anyone? The mess is being cleaned up....the guys are working and getting a paycheck....they laughed when asked about who was paying for their time (like THEY care) so it must not have been TOO MUCH of a strain....as far as I am concerned...its NOT MY boat..I dont sign their checks, nor does it come out of tax money I pay..its NONE OF my business. I am just glad to see that local people HAVE A JOB and ARE DOING IT. How long would it take any of you to complain about the boat (or pieces of a boat) sitting there for a month or two while "the owner" waited to finalize insurance claims? Get over it.
</end rant>

Sheesh! Sorry I even said anything. I really did think that they changed the laws on salvage after a boat sunk on 331 at the bay field and may very well still be there. I spoke to one of the FWC officers about it and he said he had been working for over a year to get it removed and the owner to pay for the cleanup.

As for the tax money comment. Rather you think you pay it or not, dollars that go to the TDC are YOUR tax money. They are not expended without the permission of the BCC. And if they are expended wisely, their will be dollars left for replacing blue signs, building more accesses, and restoring beaches. But not go to be any if all the money goes to cleaning up abandoned boats.
 
I really did think that they changed the laws on salvage after a boat sunk on 331 at the bay field and may very well still be there. I spoke to one of the FWC officers about it and he said he had been working for over a year to get it removed and the owner to pay for the cleanup.
I can tell you that the salvage laws in Florida will take ALOT more than one decrepit house boat on Choctawhatchee Bay to to change. There are possibly BILLIONs of dollars at stake when it comes to salvaging boats along these shores and one county isnt going to be able to change them without a fight from some very heavy-weight treasure hunters. Nor will the state of Florida give up their cut for some beat up catamaran in Miramar Bch.
EDIT: here is a link for some info regarding the Coast Guard and towing/salvage of recreational vehicles.........http://www.safesea.com/boating_info/salvage/anderson/intro.html
 
Last edited:
Insurance companies are gearing up for the probability that more "assets" will meet with "unforeseen accidents."


.
 
Last edited:
Insurance companies are gearing up for the probability that more "assets" will meet with "unforeseen accidents."


.
I can understand that.Being that alot of folks that bought that "beach house" (that just didnt look right without the boat in the yard) but now cant pay for the HOUSE,let alone a boat. But that article clears up alot of misconceptions about what an insurance company is liable for and what the owner is liable for.
 
Aren't all boats required to have registration numbers?
Sailboats (no power) under 16' do not have to be registered. ANY boat with a motor has to be.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top