• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Cell Phone Reception

New posts
peapod1980 said:
pk--LOVE your avatar!

Thanks Peapod!!! That is my precious grandson on the beach at Seagrove by Eastern Lake!! One of those incredible days I will never forget!!
 
I travel from Pensacola to Tallahassee and live in Seacrest Beach. I have tried them all and found that Cingular has best overall coverage for entire area and one of the few with solid coverage for the entire length of 30A. Verizon has laptop aircards available for this area also.
 
We and most of our friends have Nextel, and cell and walkie-talkie is great all over SoWal...but we are going back to Alltel, or possibly trying Cingular, as soon as our contract expires. My husband is no longer enamored with the walkie-talkie, and we need a family-share plan...not to mention I've had several run-ins with Nextel's customer service. It has definitely gotten worse since the merger with Sprint.
 
Re: Cell Phone Reception specifically Sprint

Those of you w/sprint...some say good reception-some say bad reception...those of you w/good, where does it work and did you do anything different...i just updated all my phone software from sprint and hope this helps...but from my place in Old Florida, i get nothing...the sprint guy told me there was a tower less then 3 miles from my house....anybody heard of this before, i haven't...usually if verizon works then so does sprint...not sure what to do now except change to cingular...Red
 
ShallowsNole said:
We and most of our friends have Nextel, and cell and walkie-talkie is great all over SoWal...but we are going back to Alltel, or possibly trying Cingular, as soon as our contract expires. My husband is no longer enamored with the walkie-talkie, and we need a family-share plan...not to mention I've had several run-ins with Nextel's customer service. It has definitely gotten worse since the merger with Sprint.
I have Nextal as well but primarely for the direct connect function which I need for my business. I hardly ever have a dropped call but my wife is on Alltel and I would love the benefit of a shared plan.
 
Santiago said:
I have Nextal as well but primarely for the direct connect function which I need for my business. I hardly ever have a dropped call but my wife is on Alltel and I would love the benefit of a shared plan.


Occasionally Nextel will offer a shared plan, but I never catch it right. With Alltel, I would be saving $50 per month right now. However, the final straw was several weeks ago when I missed a payment and was two weeks late. Instead of calling me - my payment record has always been good, and it's not like they don't have my number - they blocked our phones so that all outgoing calls were directed to Nextel's Customer Care Center. Meanwhile, my 13-year-old is sitting in front of Emerald Coast Middle School because basketball practice had ended early, and he winds up talking to Nextel, whose representative informs him that his mother didn't pay the cell phone bill... :pissed:
 
We have Sprint cell phones and have no trouble at all in the 30-A area or anywhere in SoWal for that matter. The only place we have any problem is driving 331 between Southern Alabama and I-10. Once we get south of I-10, coverage is great!!!
 
Re: Cell Phone Reception specifically Sprint

redfisher said:
Those of you w/sprint...some say good reception-some say bad reception...those of you w/good, where does it work and did you do anything different...i just updated all my phone software from sprint and hope this helps...but from my place in Old Florida, i get nothing...the sprint guy told me there was a tower less then 3 miles from my house....anybody heard of this before, i haven't...usually if verizon works then so does sprint...not sure what to do now except change to cingular...Red


My guess is that it's your phone. We had an old Sprint phone that didn't have the best coverage, but once we changed to the new digital phones, they work great. Mine is a PM 8920, but I've had it over a year and I don't think they even make that one anymore. You say that you've updated all of your phone software, but it sounds like you may just need a new phone. I wonder if they'd let you try one out just to see if it works :idontno:
 
I have Cingular service, and my husband has Sprint (and since he does work for a computer consulting company, he must wear his phone practically everywhere--he's gotten work calls at DisneyWorld and in Fenway Park!). Neither of us have any problems when we're in the 30A area (tho we've never tried it in Sandestin). As we drive through south Alabama, its another story, tho. But at Seagrove/Seaside, we've not had any problems.
 
I may have made a mistake...when my phone is set to accept digital roam, i get good signal...but thats off the pcs network and i have to pay add'ly...do those of you w/ sprint use your digital roam feature and thereby pay add'ly?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top