• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Changes to Seaside Town Center

New posts

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Don't know how to find the link... Will post later if someone else doesn't.

They are going to tear out the oaks and put palm trees. Medjool palms, like at Alys. Also, they are going to put brick pavers around the inside of the circle, and add a walkway around the amphitheater.

I'm for everything except the tree changes. I think date palms are tacky.

I also think this current renovation is foreboding of a complete re haul of Seaside, south of 30-A, including 4 story structures. I cite Bud & Alleys PCB as another canary in the coal mine.
 
Yes - the oaks will be replaced by 44 palms. The drainage issues are also to be addressed. This has been planned for quite awhile.

A fence is up around the amphitheater for a couple of months during construction. All businesses remain open and parking is not affected.
 
Last edited:
Wait a minute! Remember this thread http://sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/31988-Seaside-Changes?highlight=seaside+trees ? Why did Seaside do a 180 on the trees? I really thought it was a good move that Seaside used native plant material in 2009.

EDIT: Here's my guess. As the trees got fuller, the branches started interfering with pedestrians and the trailers. They provided nice shade in the summer for dining at the trailers, but we've also had our food pooped on by birds that were perching above us in the trees. Severe pruning might have been an option, but then they wouldn't look natural.

Still don't like palm trees in the Panhandle.
 
Last edited:
I think we should start WAP: Waltonians against palms.
 
Wait until the plans for the south side come out, palm trees will be the least of people's concerns.
I've always expected that it would just be a matter of time until south of 30A goes big. That property is just too valuable for one-story buildings. I've heard rumors for years.

The Boatyard investment is interesting; hope Dave stays in Seaside too as other changes occur.
 
140120-seaside-005.jpg

140120-seaside-001.jpg
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top