• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Citizen's wind-only reapply?

New posts

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
I got a letter from Citizen's saying that they are "updating" their 350,000 wind-only homeowner's policies. They say this will result in them discontinuing all the existing policies, and that I (and 349,999 others) will have to reapply for coverage. They say there will not be a "rate" increase, but that your monthly bill could go up if you don't have enough coverage to replace a total wind loss of your house. Futhermore, that "almost all" existing policy holders will qualify for the new coverage.

Does anyone know more about this?
Have you gone through the process yet?

Your wary correspondent thanks you...
 
I do know someone else who is going through the process right now. Biggest stumbling block for him at the moment is finding a licensed roofer to do the required inspection. If you know one please post the name.
 
So, Tree Frog - can I take this to mean they are not requiring roof inspections from everyone? There was no roof form included with your letter that requires a signature from a licensed roofing contractor?? Maybe you had some sort of inspection in the recent past? Or maybe age of the house is a factor?
 
So, Tree Frog - can I take this to mean they are not requiring roof inspections from everyone? There was no roof form included with your letter that requires a signature from a licensed roofing contractor?? Maybe you had some sort of inspection in the recent past? Or maybe age of the house is a factor?

You always disclose the year your house was built. I'm betting that your home is older than treefrogs. ;-)
 
So, Tree Frog - can I take this to mean they are not requiring roof inspections from everyone? There was no roof form included with your letter that requires a signature from a licensed roofing contractor?? Maybe you had some sort of inspection in the recent past? Or maybe age of the house is a factor?

Answers, in order:
1-I don't know.
2-Nope, no form
3-No inspections since I bought in 2005
4-The letter does say that old houses or some specific types of roof may have more difficulty qualifying for new coverage.
 
I woulda thunk a whole lotta folks beside me got this letter. Sure doesn't seem to be much response here on SoWal, though.
 
Thanks. It is not my house, a friend of mine, but yes it is an older house. Same friend has a couple of other houses and no letter for them yet. It appears the letters are going out a couple of months in advance of the policy renewal date, so as renewal dates approach more people will be getting the letters, I think. And since it is wind only, I guess that means if your Citizens policy is both homeowners and wind the reapplication process doesn't apply.
 
I got a letter. And I smell a rat! What's the need to "discontinue" just to ensure that the homeowner has "sufficient coverage." My expiration date is May 5th of '09. My Agent also wrote me to say that nearer to the expiration, I would hear from him again. I smell a rat! (Oh, already said that.)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top