• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Cocktail challenge

New posts

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
My parents and my brother are coming to visit this Christmas! My mom has asked me to come up with some non-alcoholic cocktails for her while she's here. She and my dad have both quit drinking (mainly for medical reasons, but I'm nto going to air that here). My mom loves what she refers to as the "frosty fruity" drinks, but those are so full of sugar, and she and my dad are both at fairly high risk for diabetes.

So my challenge is to come up with something that still tastes good, but has no alcohol and very little sugar.

Any ideas?
 
You can mix fun cocktails with non-alcoholic sparkling cider or grape juice (that might still have a lot of sugar for them) or by making spritzers w/ low sugar fruit juices and club soda or mineral water.

Garnishes and fun glasses also go a long way towards making a fun cocktail w/ no alcohol.
 
You could try making virgin frozen daquiris or margaritas with fresh fruit juice (using sugar substitute or honey as sweetner) + sparkling or soda water. Limeade is one of my favorite non-alcoholic alternatives.

I like Scooterbug's ideas AND totally agree about the right glass & garnish REALLY making a difference to the "mind" (heck...I could ALMOST drink milk if it was in a gorgeous stemmed martini glass :lol:).
 
considering that most juices are filled with sugars, even natural sugars, I cannot think of any drink ideas which help with the low sugar part. However, I can think of a few good non-alcoholic fruity spritzy drinks.
 
Non- alcoholic beer. :biggrin:

Kaliber is a good one.

Sorry- I can't think of any healthy fruity ones.

Here's an idea for a virgin low sugar Colorado Bulldog (Miss Kitty is gonna hurl when she reads this:lol:)

Make a mock White Russian- I'm sure there is a recipe somewhere. If I had to guess- use coffee, Splenda, milk. Add a splash of Diet Coke. Voila!
 
I would think if you can add some sort of fruity flavoring to Sprite Zero (no sugar, no caffeine, and it doesn't taste nasty like Diet Sprite--?)

I wonder what would happen if you used some of those Crystal Lite single-serving packets (I know they have lemonade and some kind of raspberry and something else) and added crushed up ice and Sprite Zero?

My gullfriends like to take plain vanilla, fat-free, sugar free yogurt and frozen fruit (which comes in bags on the frozen fruit aisle) and toss it in a blender with skim milk for their kiddies, and they're pretty darned tasty. And you could always add some Sprite Zero. (Kidding.)

Or just stick a diet Mt. Dew in the freezer for a few minutes...
 
• "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."
~ Winston Churchill

• "My favourite drink is a cocktail of carrot juice and whisky. I am always drunk but I can see for miles."
~ Roy Brown

and finally (cause it was on a website were I found the others ones):

• "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer."
~ Bruce Graham
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top