• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Code Words

New posts

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Over the last week, I've been to several political meetings and met a few local candidates. Over and over, I kept hearing--

"My family has been in Walton County for six generations...."
"I was born and raised in Walton County...."
"I graduated from Walton High..."
"My family has been in this county for 100 years...."

I promise you, if I heard it once I heard it twenty times, usually as a qualification for office or to give their point of view more weight.

Has anyone else noticed this? What's it all about?
 
Over the last week, I've been to several political meetings and met a few local candidates. Over and over, I kept hearing--

"My family has been in Walton County for six generations...."
"I was born and raised in Walton County...."
"I graduated from Walton High..."
"My family has been in this county for 100 years...."

I promise you, if I heard it once I heard it twenty times, usually as a qualification for office or to give their point of view more weight.

Has anyone else noticed this? What's it all about?

I would imagine it means the same thing it means everywhere else in small town America, and what you posted above. Come to think of it, I have heard that everywhere I have lived when it comes to politics and government.

Are you saying that you had not ever heard it before, or are you surprised?
 
I think it refers to someone being in the county a long time and understands how the government here ticks...........greased palms.
 
Somebody needs to get them to qualify those statments by having them say how often they ever bother to venture south of the bay...
 
Somebody needs to get them to qualify those statments by having them say how often they ever bother to venture south of the bay...

or how often they attend their own meetings!!
 
Let me 'splain it to you cuz. It's just like that TV commercial where the salesman tells the old lady, "he looks just like you, so you can trust him". Those connections are intended to tell the voters that any candidate with age-old connections to Walton County will get you a "get out of jail free" card. It won't deliver a better level of service or a sheriff that can operate a calculator or a telephone----just another good ol' boy. Voters have the opportunity to elect a fresh approach to law enforcement that they haven't had in the 5 decades I have been watching Walton County politics. Figure out who that is and go vote!
 
To garner even MORE support, they might as well add the phrase: "I am also married to my first cousin, and her side of the family has been here longer than my side of the family."
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top