• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Comfort Food

New posts
I've been eyeing this thread and have intentionally stayed away from it because I knew I would savor it for a long time and I'm so busy right now finishing up work so I can get away to SoWal in about 10 days (!) and we're doing lots of planning for our daugther's Bat Mitzvah on May 12 (including cooking for about 40+ people who will be at our house on the Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday morning of her Bat Mitzvah weekend. I've been cooking and freezing lasagna (comfort food), meatballs (comfort food), Italian chicken liver pate, hummus, a goat cheese dip for crackers, a blue cheese dip for vegetables, and that home-made NYT Italian bread for Friday night. We'll probably just have sandwiches for Saturday night and salads because we have a reception at a hotel from 1-5 with lunch and dancing (Bat Mitzvah service is in the morning). Then quiche, bagels/cream cheese/lox, fruit salad, and coffee cake for brunch on Sunday. When we have parties, I love to cook ahead (usually it's only earlier in the day rather than cook/freeze) so that I can sit down and relax with the guests when they are here.

Anyhoooooo, for comfort food I always make myself grits every morning on the porch when I'm in SoWal or I take a home-made scone and jam to the beach and read. I LOVE POLENTA and may make Donna's recipe for the Saturday night after the Bat Mitzvah (we're at a loss for what to do that's special for that night). And any kind of pasta is comfort food to me. Oatmeal is comfort food, but only if it has cream and brown sugar on top, along with apples and raisins.

OK, now I'm going back to work... really I am...

good god paulina! 40 people to feed Fri-Sun? I would be faking an ankle relapse right about now!!!

I know I wasn't invited but if I could I would show up on your doorstep for all that wonderful, comforting, home-made Italian food.

happy bat mitzvah to your daughter and all!!!

good luck to you...:wub:
 
Thank you Thank you Thank you for the attention. :wub: I'm whining plenty here around the house with all there is to do (I'm trying to finish almost everything before I go to SoWal... I think the family will be a tad happy when I'm out of the house for a few days - heh heh, part of my evil plan to not be missed while I'm away...). Anyway, you are welcome to show up on my doorstep for the Bat Mitzvah. But I'm bringing one of the best parts to SoWal next week anyway -- the limoncello.
 
Thank you Thank you Thank you for the attention. :wub: I'm whining plenty here around the house with all there is to do (I'm trying to finish almost everything before I go to SoWal... I think the family will be a tad happy when I'm out of the house for a few days - heh heh, part of my evil plan to not be missed while I'm away...). Anyway, you are welcome to show up on my doorstep for the Bat Mitzvah. But I'm bringing one of the best parts to SoWal next week anyway -- the limoncello.

How do you transport Limoncello on the airplane? :idontno:
I wanted to bring home made wine with me, but not sure if I can.
 
Last edited:
Hi Mango: I'm going to wrap it carefully in my clothes and it's in canning jars which are pretty sturdy and I'll put them in the middle of my suitcase and check it in. Liquids are OK to take on a plane if they are checked in. I've done this before. Home-made wine... sounds wonderful.
 
i like a nice fresh warm batch of babies. especially buttermilk babies. oooh oooh, what about a honey baked baby? oh yeah...with some homemade mashed potatos...hell yeah.
 
Hi Mango: I'm going to wrap it carefully in my clothes and it's in canning jars which are pretty sturdy and I'll put them in the middle of my suitcase and check it in. Liquids are OK to take on a plane if they are checked in. I've done this before. Home-made wine... sounds wonderful.

The homemade wine is made by a friend who has a wine cellar and all the equipment which I have to pick up or ask him to ship to me. I have to call the airline because I think there are laws against shipping wine in certain states. I would rather he UPS it if he can.
We'll see if I or he gets around to it before I leave.
 
Comfort food? Beer ... cold, damn beer.
 
The homemade wine is made by a friend who has a wine cellar and all the equipment which I have to pick up or ask him to ship to me. I have to call the airline because I think there are laws against shipping wine in certain states. I would rather he UPS it if he can.
We'll see if I or he gets around to it before I leave.

That must be some pretty good wine! I've brought wine and limoncello in my checked in bags from Michigan to SoWal before and haven't had any problem. I know they've checked my bags because I've found that little tag that says "for security reasons we checked your bags" and they didn't have any problem with the liquor in the bags -- nor did they drink it or take it. But it's always a risk to bring anything like that in a checked in bag -- but it's worth the risk for me! Can't wait to see you.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top